The SmartScope Duo 4K - connectivity and control

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Colin Barrett

The SmartScope Duo 4K - connectivity and control

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 11:33 am

I'm using a Teranex 2D ( in addition to other BM devices) to process incoming SD composite, component and SD/SDI video sources off-tape from a variety of professional-standard videotape players into Blackmagic Media Express on MacOS.

To date, I've been relying on analog(ue) waveform and vector scopes (for video) in addition to PPM audio meters, but I'd really like to bring monitoring into the 21st century with devices like the SmartScope Duo 4K - a dual-display, rack-mountable unit that also includes a comprehensive range of scopes. But my question is this: how do these physically connect into my workstation? I assume I can simply take an SDI o/p from the Teranex, but how do I then select the required scopes in each of the displays? The unit is ethernet networkable and I read that this is software controlled - but how does the device receive its picture and audio information within one workstation and how is the control interface enabled? There's nothing on the BM products pages that explains this to me. Further info and advice gratefully received....!
Blackmagic Teranex 2D, Ultrastudio Express, Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt), Two H.264 Pro Recorders (Mac OSX) & lots of old VTRs used for digital archiving of legacy video formats for major libraries, broadcasters, universities and public archives.

MambaFiber.com

Re: The SmartScope Duo 4K - connectivity and control

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 1:23 pm

There are SDI inputs with loop thru for each monitor. The audio has to be embedded with the video. Connect the Ethernet to your computer/network, there is software similar to the ATEM that controls switching the monitors between a picture or the various scopes, and adjusting color, saturation and brightness. Configuring the network info or firmware updates of the smart scope requires a usb connection.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Colin Barrett

PostFri Mar 24, 2017 11:06 am

Thanks Greg. I assume, therefore, that the scope has its own IP address which you then connect to on the network? I like the idea of remote access and control.
Blackmagic Teranex 2D, Ultrastudio Express, Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt), Two H.264 Pro Recorders (Mac OSX) & lots of old VTRs used for digital archiving of legacy video formats for major libraries, broadcasters, universities and public archives.

Thomas Seewald

PostFri Mar 24, 2017 5:06 pm

Yes, the SmartScope has his own IP-address. (Also SmartView monitors)
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

MambaFiber.com

PostFri Mar 24, 2017 6:49 pm

it takes a DHCP address by default, but can be set to use a static which is what we do.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Xtreemtec

PostFri Mar 24, 2017 7:01 pm

And since today the Smartview monitors had a Price Drop.

They mention monitors as plurall.. But the Duo's are not included it seems..
I was suprised that they could drop the 4K 12G monitor from 1995 to 995 dollar :o :o
Thats half the price..

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/ ... 0170324-02
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Getting Started