UltraStudio MiniRecorder note detected on a Del XPS 9550

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Ben Macrow

UltraStudio MiniRecorder note detected on a Del XPS 9550

PostSun Mar 26, 2017 2:23 pm

Hi all,

I am doing some testing with connecting an UltraStudio MiniRecorder to my Dell XPS 9550 laptop.

The laptop has a USB-C port carrying thunderbolt 3, and I am using an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter to convert to the thunderbolt 2 connection that the minirecorder needs.

At the moment the Desktop Video Setup utility is saying no video device detected.

Has anyone has any luck with this configuration, or indeed found any way to get the MiniRecorder hooked up to a PC with Thunderbolt 3?

Thanks in advance!

Ben

Ben Macrow

Re: UltraStudio MiniRecorder note detected on a Del XPS 9550

PostMon Mar 27, 2017 8:53 pm

So an update on this from my perspective.

I turns out that Dell have not updated the thunderbolt firmware on the xps 9550 since August. The firmware revision is still 16 (the latest being 21). The apple thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter requires a minimum of firmware 18.

Does anyone know of a thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter that works with the Dell xps 15 9550?

Thanks in advance, I know this is no longer strictly blackmail related but it will help me get the blackmagic kit working with my setup.

Failing that does anyone know if there are plans for USB 3 or thunderbolt 3 version of the mini recorder running on USB C?

Return to Getting Started