New Filmmaker Needing Help with Blackmagic Design Studio Cam

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Christin Johnson

New Filmmaker Needing Help with Blackmagic Design Studio Cam

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 6:15 am

Hi, all!

First of all, please excuse my total lack of knowledge about Blackmagic cameras. The last cameras I used to video were the Canon X100 and Panasonic GH4. However, I'm a new convert and am excited about the Design Studio Camera's 4K capabilities.

My question is pretty basic, but in order to film a video inside, what are the most basic elements I need to use with this camera body? Another lens, a sound adapter, shotgun mic? I am trying to gauge what a basic set-up would look like and if I would be able to use my current lighting and sound adapter/mic sets with it or if I need to buy Blackmagic-specific products.

Thank you so much, and again, I'm sorry for being such a newbie! I'm so excited to get into camera and its beautiful footage, I just want to make sure I have a baseline or preparation. Any help would be tremendously appreciated.

-Christin

Denny Smith

Re: New Filmmaker Needing Help with Blackmagic Design Studio

PostFri Mar 31, 2017 6:51 pm

First off, the BM Studio cameras are Not low, available light cameras, theymwere designed for use in TV Studio situations or live event situations with lots of light available. So you are going to need a TV Studio type setup with appropriate lights, and grip equipment to use them properly.

Lenses, these cameras have MFT lens mounts, I would be looking for the fastest lenses you can for Studio use, at least f/2.8. the Panasonic Leica series lenses are good, as well as the Olympus Pro lenses, if you want automtype lenses to use with a BM ATEM switcher (these cameras do not record internally) CCU. A better option for primes are the Veydra Mini Primes, these work well. and good quality zooms which will require a PL mount adapter, will run $9K and up. A less expensive good zoom option are the Olympus Pro
F/2.8 zooms, and these excellent Oly Four Thirds 14-39 f/2.0 zoom (which will require a Panny or Oly Ft to MFT adapter) and remote focus is available with these lenses.

You are also going to need some type of video switcher and a means of recording the program out. The new BM ATEM HD would work for a switcher, giving youmthe CCU camera control.

I would recommend you get a few books or articles on setting up a TV production Studio, and the required workflow before buying any equipment.
DS
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Getting Started