Video Assist 4K and Panasonic G85

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Margaret Bengtson

Video Assist 4K and Panasonic G85

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 1:58 pm

I am looking into other 4K DSLR or mirrorless cameras that work with the VA 4K. Specifically, I want to be able to pass the audio from the camera to the VA 4K. As I have mentioned before, the VA 4K does not pick up the audio in the Nikon D500 so I really need to know if my next camera will be acceptable. The Panasonic G85 looks to be an excellent contender with in body IS. But will it's audio be picked up by the VA 4K?

Thanks,
Margaret
Alienware Aurora R5
Intel Core i7 6700, 3.4 GHz
16GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 with 8GB GDDR5
Samsung T3 Portable SSD - 250GB
Win 10 Home
DaVinci Resolve 12.5.4

Denny Smith

Re: Video Assist 4K and Panasonic G85

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 4:08 pm

Margaret, I would sit tight, and see what BM does at NAB next month, about two weeks away. You might be in for a nice surprise.

Also, for 4K, I picked up a Micro Studio camera to use with my PixE, it has nice audio that is embedded in the SDI signal. I do not know what you want in Video quality, but this little camera delivers some nice righ saturated looking color images, which need only a minimum of work in post. Kind of like shooting slide film. The only down side, it is not a low light camera at a base ISO of 200, but it still gets decent looking images at ISO 400 to 800 (the camera actually applies gain to the signal). And as a MFT mount camera, it can use your Nikon lenses with an adapter. :mrgreen:

Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Margaret Bengtson

Re: Video Assist 4K and Panasonic G85

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 9:29 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Margaret, I would sit tight, and see what BM does at NAB next month, about two weeks away. You might be in for a nice surprise.

Also, for 4K, I picked up a Micro Studio camera to use with my PixE, it has nice audio that is embedded in the SDI signal. I do not know what you want in Video quality, but this little camera delivers some nice righ saturated looking color images, which need only a minimum of work in post. Kind of like shooting slide film. The only down side, it is not a low light camera at a base ISO of 200, but it still gets decent looking images at ISO 400 to 800 (the camera actually applies gain to the signal). And as a MFT mount camera, it can use your Nikon lenses with an adapter. :mrgreen:

Cheers

Thanks, I'll wait to decide on what to do after NAB. I did look into the Micro Studio camera and while it really has some very nice features, it won't fit into my niche of wildlife video. I'm still pondering how to best use the Video Assist 4K out in the field as it is. It might have been a misstep but I really did want something better than H.264 compressed video to capture birds at a wildlife refuge. It does work for that application but it is heavy and not weather resistant. Still, the videos are really nice and there are such things as sunny days without rain. ( Although here in Oregon, that seems to rarely come this season)

Margaret
Alienware Aurora R5
Intel Core i7 6700, 3.4 GHz
16GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 with 8GB GDDR5
Samsung T3 Portable SSD - 250GB
Win 10 Home
DaVinci Resolve 12.5.4

Return to Getting Started