PTZOptics SDI camera with DeckLink Duo 2?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Dee Dee Sommers

PTZOptics SDI camera with DeckLink Duo 2?

PostTue Apr 04, 2017 10:37 pm

Greetings. We are ready to pull the trigger to purchase 3 PTZOptics SDI cameras. Our plan is to connect the cameras to a DeckLink Duo 2 card housed in a Sonnet Echo Thunderbolt 2 expansion chassis to connect to a new iMac. This setup will be in England, for RMTP streaming.

The following is directly from the PTZOptics website:
"...When used with the BMD Decklink Duo 2, we found that 1080p60 will not pull in. We found that all of the PAL resolutions (anything that ends in 25 or 50) do not pull into this device. I am not sure if I missed a setting that would make this accept PAL framerates, but from what I saw it does not. It does pull in all NTSC framrate resolutions with no issue except for 1080p60 and 720p30. 720p30 does not work just because the BMD software does not accept 720p30 as a resolution for the session. So, 1080p30, 1080i60, 720p60, are the resolutions that pull into the BMD Decklink Duo 2 from the PTZoptics cameras."

My concern is that I do not know if we will need the cameras set to PAL frame rates since we will be streaming over the internet. If that is the case, then will the combination of PTZOptics with BMD DeckLink Duo 2 NOT work?

We use Wirecast for our our live production software.

Thank you for any insight.
Dee Dee

George E. Kennedy, Jr.

Re: PTZOptics SDI camera with DeckLink Duo 2?

PostTue Apr 04, 2017 10:46 pm

Dee, I just used 3 PTZOptics with the Decklink Duo 2, but I had Decimators on the front of all cameras.

Frame rate and the lot can get Nuts. So I keep 3 of them on hand. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/contro ... details&Q=

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gek, jr.

Dee Dee Sommers

PostTue Apr 04, 2017 10:59 pm

George E. Kennedy, Jr. wrote:Dee, I just used 3 PTZOptics with the Decklink Duo 2, but I had Decimators on the front of all cameras.

Frame rate and the lot can get Nuts. So I keep 3 of them on hand. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/contro ... details&Q=

Wow! Thank you for this!

George E. Kennedy, Jr.

PostTue Apr 04, 2017 11:02 pm

No worries, I use them a lot plus for Wirecast which I stream with. It allows me to just give it 720p 59.94. Keep CPU Usage down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gek, jr.

John Duffy

PostMon Oct 30, 2017 8:28 pm

Dee Dee Sommers wrote:
George E. Kennedy, Jr. wrote:Dee, I just used 3 PTZOptics with the Decklink Duo 2, but I had Decimators on the front of all cameras.

Frame rate and the lot can get Nuts. So I keep 3 of them on hand.

Wow! Thank you for this!

I'm very interested in using this card with PTZOptics cameras, for two church installations. We don't have any equipment yet, but these are a preferred option (with using streaming mjpeg from the camera as an alternative). Did you have any problems like those on the video? Or did the cameras work fine with the DeckLink Duo 2 cards? Or did you have to use Decimators to get them to interface correctly?

Dee Dee Sommers

PostMon Oct 30, 2017 10:48 pm

[/quote]
I'm very interested in using this card with PTZOptics cameras, for two church installations. We don't have any equipment yet, but these are a preferred option (with using streaming mjpeg from the camera as an alternative). Did you have any problems like those on the video? Or did the cameras work fine with the DeckLink Duo 2 cards? Or did you have to use Decimators to get them to interface correctly?[/quote]

Hi. In the end we did NOT need to use Decimators. It took some patience and I think the card does not see the cameras as 1-2-3-4. With 3 cameras, the card likes ports 1, 2, & 4. Once we got that worked out it has been very stable.

hth,
Dee Dee

John Duffy

PostFri Nov 03, 2017 12:47 pm

Dee Dee Sommers wrote:

Hi. In the end we did NOT need to use Decimators. It took some patience and I think the card does not see the cameras as 1-2-3-4. With 3 cameras, the card likes ports 1, 2, & 4. Once we got that worked out it has been very stable.

hth,
Dee Dee[/quote]

That's great, thanks Dee Dee. Sorry for the delay in responding as I didn't get a notification of your response automatically.

I also spoke, by chance really, on a sales line to someone here in the UK, who installs lots of systems successfully using these, and they said that there is nothing to worry about, using these cameras with this capture capture card.

Return to Getting Started