NAB 2017 product announcements and releases

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

rick.lang

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 4:33 pm

Sigma adds full frame 14mm and 135mm T2 cine primes. That 14mm is very appealing!

https://i0.wp.com/matthewduclos.files.w ... l=1&zoom=2

https://i1.wp.com/matthewduclos.files.w ... l=1&zoom=2

https://thecinelens.com/2017/04/20/sigm ... ne-primes/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 5:13 pm

This new Angēnieux Óptimo Style 48-130mm T3 lightweight zoom looks like a great companion to their 16-40mm zoom:

https://thecinelens.com/2017/04/19/ange ... tyle-line/

https://matthewduclos.files.wordpress.c ... 020&crop=1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

timbutt2

Re: NAB 2017 product announcements and releases

PostFri Apr 21, 2017 12:21 pm

New Canon Zoom: http://www.newsshooter.com/2017/04/20/c ... -is-kas-s/

Not to thrilled about how slow the lens is, but it still is a nice one.

Also, I'm disappointed to learn they're skipping 13 and going to 14 with Resolve. 13 is my lucky number, and they have shown that they are superstitious with the skip, so that saddens me.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Jamie LeJeune

PostFri Apr 21, 2017 4:37 pm

timbutt2 wrote:New Canon Zoom: http://www.newsshooter.com/2017/04/20/c ... -is-kas-s/

Not to thrilled about how slow the lens is, but it still is a nice one.

I don't think the new lens actually any slower than the long end of Canon's 70-200 f2.8 L lens. That lens noticeably darkens when you zoom to 200mm. The 4.4 on the new cinema zoom is a T stop rather than an f stop so it's a measure of the actual amount light passing through the lens, rather than just the aperture and it stays consistent through the entire zoom range. I'd bet that when compared to a shot taken on the long end of the 70-200 f2.8 L photo lens the light transmission is the same.

Of course, I totally agree that it is slower than a few other s35 cinema zooms. But those don't have IS, are much heavier and cost a whole lot more.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Jamie LeJeune

PostFri Apr 21, 2017 4:44 pm

Jamie LeJeune wrote:I recommend the Rayzr7 LED Fresnel for when you need a bright source.

Nick Gombinsky wrote:Do you know who sells them in the US? I can't find any dealers.

Zylight has recently been announced as the US distributor.
http://www.zylight.com/300-daylight/

I'm guessing sometime in the near future Rayzr7 will be available through B&H and Adorama as Zylight's other lights can be purchased through them.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Peter Odio

PostFri Apr 21, 2017 7:52 pm

New LEICA 8-18mm Ultra Wide Zoom Lens for Micro Four-Thirds

Panasonic today introduces a new wide zoom lens, the LEICA DG VARIO-ELMARIT 8-18mm / F2.8-4.0 ASPH. (35 mm camera equivalent: 16-36 mm) as the second lens within the LEICA DG VARIO-ELMARIT F2.8-4.0 Series.

https://www.lumixgexperience.panasonic.co.uk/news/introducing-new-leica-dg-vario-elmarit-8-18mm/#.WPpiZbGZMUE
promedios.tv

Pavel Lavrov

PostSat Apr 22, 2017 6:41 pm

Avid Artist DNxIQ , new partners with BMD ?

http://www.avidblogs.com/first-look-avi ... -nab-2017/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Pavel L

rick.lang

PostSat Apr 22, 2017 6:51 pm

In terms of industrial design, that's BMD!

Rick Lang

Pavel Lavrov

PostSat Apr 22, 2017 6:56 pm

rick.lang wrote:In terms of industrial design, that's BMD!

I'm sure it is BMD, has their logo on it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Pavel L

Jörgen Persson

PostSat Apr 22, 2017 7:37 pm

Pavel Lavrov wrote:Avid Artist DNxIQ , new partners with BMD ?

The older Avid DNxIO was a modified version of the BMD UltraStudio 4k Extreme.

I would be surprised if BMD didn't introduce a similar box on Monday.
Same exterior design and specs but with other codecs supported in hardware.

rick.lang

PostSat Apr 22, 2017 8:07 pm

Pavel, can't believe I didn't even notice that! My eye was drawn to the Avid logo and the screen and controls.

Rick Lang

timbutt2

PostSat Apr 22, 2017 8:47 pm

Totally a Blackmagic Design design, with Avid sticking their logo on it as well. My guess is Avid worked with Blackmagic on it. My hope is that if they're announcing this that it means that DNx Codecs are coming to the Mini 4.6K and Mini Pro on Monday. Fingers are crossed!

rick.lang

PostSat Apr 22, 2017 9:50 pm

Betcha!

Rick Lang

BenWorkman

PostSun Apr 23, 2017 3:00 am

Peter Odio wrote:Atomos Sumo Announced – 19” HDR Monitor-Recorder with 12bit 4K60p Raw

The Atomos Sumo has a 19” 1920×1080 10-bit LCD panel with 1200nit brightness. It is driven by the AtomHDR engine, which “maps the Log/PQ/HLG from popular cameras, game consoles or TV makers to perfectly resolve 10+ stops of HDR in real time”. The calibration on the Sumo lets you use the i1DisplayPro from X-Rite to always ensure accurate HDR and Rec709 monitoring.

The Sumo can capture 12-bit 4K30p as CDNG or 10-bit Apple ProRes / Avid DNxHR up to 4K60p / 2K240p Raw using the SDI outputs of the Sony FS5/FS7/FS700, Canon C300MKII/C500 or Panasonic Varicam LT. As with previous models, Atomos are sticking with widely available 2.5″ SSDs that provide an affordable solution for long recording times.

https://www.atomos.com/sumo

The thing is also a 4 channel SDI live switcher/recorder... all at ~$2500... looks interesting to me!

Peter Odio

PostSun Apr 23, 2017 4:59 am

New Rokinon DS VDSLR 16mm T2.6 Lens for Full-Frame Sensors

Rokinon just announced their latest addition to their VDSLR range – the Samyang/Rokinon 16mm T2.6 full-frame lens. The new Samyang VDSLR 16mm T2.6 ED AS UMC is a wide angle cine lens designed for DSLR or mirrorless cameras employing the 35mm full frame sensor size.

Samyang/Rokinon 16mm T2.6 Features

. 106.91 Degrees Wide Angle
. Covers 35mm full-frame sensors
. Compatible with Sony A7R II, Canon 1DX Mark II, Sony a9 etc.
. Ultra Multi Coating of Samyang Optics
. Circular Aperture with 9 blades
. Built-in follow focus and aperture gear rings for Follow Focus/motors
. Aspherical lens
. De-clicked aperture/Smoot focus
promedios.tv

Peter Odio

PostSun Apr 23, 2017 5:06 am

LaCie 2big Dock Station Boasts Thunderbolt 3 Capabilities and Up to 20TB of Storage

Lacie has just unveiled the next iteration of its popular 2big professional 2-bay RAID storage solution. The brand new LaCie 2big Dock Station comes equipped with the latest Thunderbolt 3 technology, packs up to 20TB of storage and boasts transfer speeds of up to 440MB/s.

The unit features Seagate IronWolf Pro enterprise-class drives and RAID optimization ensuring superior power management and reliability. Besides its slick design and aluminum enclosure, LaCie 2big offers an efficient cooling system with thermoregulated fan. The dock station is both Windows and Mac compatible.

Additionally, the LaCie 2big Dock sports two extremely handy front-facing SD and CF Card slots that allow users to ingest files off multiple memory cards directly. You can even charge your smartphone by using the USB 3.0 hub available on the front panel or connect any other external device to offload and backup your footage on the fly.

Dual Thunderbolt 3 ports, on the other hand, can power a compatible laptop while simultaneously daisy-chaining up to five additional Thunderbolt or one USB-C drive. Via the available DisplayPort, users can also tether multiple high-resolution 1080p monitors or even a 4K display.

The USB 3.1 port enables universal compatibility with USB-C and USB 3.0 computers via the included adapter cable. Thunderbolt 2 compatibility is also possible with an additional adapter. As Lacie points out, the 2big Dock simplifies and centralizes your desktop by connecting your laptop to all of your peripherals via a single cable.
promedios.tv

Peter Odio

PostSun Apr 23, 2017 2:30 pm

Sound Devices Launches New high-resolution MixPre-3 & MixPre-6

Sound Devices is thrilled to announce the launch of its groundbreaking new product line, the MixPre Series of audio recorders with integrated USB audio interface. The lightweight, high-resolution MixPre-3 & MixPre-6 audio recorders with USB audio streaming offer world-class sound quality combined with extreme durability – perfect for musicians, sound designers, podcasters, videographers, YouTubers and field recordists.

The MixPre Series feature Sound Devices’ innovative new Kashmir™ microphone preamps. These high-performance, ultra-low-noise, discrete, Class-A mic preamps were hand-crafted by Sound Devices. The mic preamps feature a -130dBV noise floor, analog limiters, and new 32-bit A-to-D converters to ensure high quality, stress-free, professional-grade audio recordings.

Not only is the MixPre the perfect size to sit on your desk while you are recording a podcast, it is also designed for videographers. It includes features such as HDMI Record triggering, timecode, and a retractable 1/4-inch mounting screw, which allows it to be mounted under a DSLR camera.

Some of the unique features of the MixPre Series include:

Ultra-compact & durable – the MixPre Series will fit any production environment. The MixPre’s small stature allows you to wear it, or drop it into your pocket or a tech bag. Constructed with a die-cast aluminum chassis, the MixPre Series is both lightweight and incredibly robust.
Responsive, capacitive touch screen – for incredibly simple and intuitive operation, and a bright, IPS technology, sunlight-readable color LCD for the ultimate in convenient navigation.
Full-featured mixer – equipped with ergonomic gain control knobs for fast and accurate mixing. Other key features include pan and soloing plus easy-to-see ring LED metering per channel. also includes a 3.5mm jack for headphone monitoring with user-programmable presets from our custom-designed powerful, wide-bandwidth headphone amp.
Built-in Bluetooth Smart® technology - allows for easy connection, control and metering via iOS devices from the Sound Devices free Wingman app.
Intuitive operation - with user-friendly navigation featuring Basic and Advanced modes. Basic mode allows users to record noise and distortion-free audio right out of the box – intended for stereo recording applications. The Advanced mode offers more experienced audio users access to multi-channel recording and advanced settings such as ISO metering, routing, timecode, mic pre gain, stereo and Mid/Side channel linking, headphone presets and more.
Perfect camera companion – offering HDMI Record triggering, timecode, and retractable 1/4-inch-20-thread mounting screw.
Flexible powering - for the ultimate in portability and convenience, the MixPre’s can be powered from AA batteries, Li-Ion batteries, a laptop’s USB-C or USB-A connectors, or AC wall outlet.

https://www.sounddevices.com/news/sound-devices-news/introducing-the-mixpre-series
promedios.tv

rick.lang

PostSun Apr 23, 2017 4:32 pm

Peter, thanks for the updates. The MixPre retains its budget pricing with new preamps and adds recording feature. Both units look good, so eager to find out more.

Rick Lang

timbutt2

PostSun Apr 23, 2017 8:59 pm

Australian LED lighting company Outsight introduces Creamsource Micro ahead of NAB: http://www.theasc.com/site/news/outsigh ... clubhouse/

Call me crazy but since this is an Australian LED lighting company, and Blackmagic Design is an Australian camera & post-production software company, do you think the two should team on a project? I think it would be super cool if future Blackmagic cameras could collect metadata wirelessly from the LED lights on what color temperature they're set to and what luminance intensity they're outputting. This kind of metadata can be valuable for VFX, and also probably color. I don't know, just a crazy idea.

Either way, super excited for all the NAB news. I can't wait to see what Blackmagic brings to the event.

rick.lang

PostSun Apr 23, 2017 9:24 pm

Okay. You're crazy, Tim!

Rick Lang

timbutt2

PostSun Apr 23, 2017 9:36 pm

rick.lang wrote:Okay. You're crazy, Tim!

I know, but hear me out. I think I'm starting to crack the brilliance of this idea.

So beyond just getting metadata to the camera on the light color and luminance, we could also get other information as well. Using the idea of the gyroscope that Blackmagic originally planned to be in the UM, you have GPS and Gyroscope technology in the lighting equipment as well. Then the camera has it also. So using those things the lighting gear can be triangulated by the camera so that the height and angle of the light can be recorded as metadata as well. Then in Fusion you can recreate that light exactly using the metadata captured. I mean, this sounds to me like a dream come true.

Implementing it however is another mess. I'd give it about 5-years before we actually see this even being possible. But the kernel of the idea is fascinating.

The other thing is that with pre-production software meant to help plan shooting by building virtual sets and setting the lighting up to see how you would do the shot you could then go from the software to set with a precise idea of what you want to achieve. Essentially a lot of crazy ideas here, but when you think about it these are exactly the type of crazy ideas that start revolutions. Look at Star Wars in 1977.

Part of this was thinking about what I read from Rogue One articles. They built virtual sets so they could plan their camera moves and positions. This was achieved in a VR environment. They then were able to build the sets exactly to dimensions that worked with how they planned their camera set-ups. Using the same information to apply it to lighting equipment as well and you're able to get the data that the light is in the right position. Then just like the Digital Sputnik was able to be controlled from an iPhone or iPad for color and luminance, the information could theoretically also be fed to the camera as metadata. All of this leads to the conclusion on where technology can go.

Giving the right innovators this could be possible. It could change the VFX landscape. All for the better, I might add.

rick.lang

PostMon Apr 24, 2017 12:26 am

Crazy like a fox!

Rick Lang

Ben Mart

PostMon Apr 24, 2017 10:04 am

Aputure bringing out a 300w led for hopefully under a grand or maybe not?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

timbutt2

PostMon Apr 24, 2017 10:51 am

Peter Odio

PostMon Apr 24, 2017 1:23 pm

HP adds 31-inch 4K DreamColor and improves 24-inch “little brother”

HP has announced its new DreamColor Z31x with native 4K cinema resolution and some very welcome new features, and has also released a somewhat improved “little brother”, the Z24x G2 (second generation), which remains much more affordable, yet much more limited.

DreamColor Z31x
The DreamColor Z31x offers native 4K cinema resolution (4096×2160 with 1.9:1 aspect ratio) while also being able to display smaller 16:9 and 4:3 resolutions like 4K UHD 3840×2160; 2048×2160; 2560×1440; 2048×1080; 1920×1080; 1366×768; 1280×1024; 1280×720; 1024×768; 800×600; 720×400; 640×480.

Keeping tradition, the DreamColor Z31 offers a true 10-bit panel, and also offers 100% of sRGB, 100% of BT.709, 100% of AdobeRGB, 99% of DCI-P3, 80% of BT.2020.

The DreamColor Z31x can properly lock to integer and non-integer framerates including:
23.976 (further rounded to 23.98 by some)
24 exact
29.97 (yes, it’s a rounded number too)
48 exact
59.94 (yes, it’s a rounded number too)

The Z31x inputs include two DisplayPort 1.2 connectors, two HDMI 2.0 and one USB Type-C (DisplayPort Alt Mode).

Z24x G2
The Z24x G2 has improvements over the first generation Z24x, especially since the first generation Z24x only offered calibration software for Windows, not Mac. The new Z24x G2 fortunately offers calibration software for both Mac and Windows. However, the Z24x G2 is much more limited —for pro video applications— than the higher priced DreamColor models regarding native framerates. HP responded that the Z24x G2 is 60 Hz ±0.5%. By my math, 60 – 0.5% = 59.7 which means that it barely covers 59.94, so if you want to watch the native cadence, it’s really only appropriate for 29.97 and 59.94 timelines/projects. Forget about native cadence monitoring of 25 and 50 fps timelines/projects, and if you edit video with a 23.976 or exact 24 timeline, you’ll have to view it with a 2:3 (aka 3:2) pulldown. Of course, those framerate limitations are irrelevant for pre-press applications.

DreamColor Z31x is scheduled to be available later this year (2017) for $3,999, and that the DreamColor Z24x G2 Display is scheduled to be available in early July 2017 for $559.

https://www.provideocoalition.com/hp-adds-31-inch-4k-dreamcolor-and-improves-24-inch-little-brother/
promedios.tv

Peter Odio

PostMon Apr 24, 2017 1:54 pm

DJI Introduces Ronin 2, A More Powerful, Versatile and Intelligent Stabilizer For Film And Video Professionals

DJI, the world’s leader in creative camera technology, today introduced Ronin 2, the three-axis camera stabilizer redesigned to give filmmakers the freedom to capture any scene they can imagine. Based on DJI’s transformative gimbal technology, Ronin 2 has more power and torque to carry larger cameras, is more versatile to be used in every situation, and has more intelligent features to allow for unprecedented camera moves that help realize every creative vision.

“Ronin 2 dramatically improves every aspect of the camera operating experience and is the best stabilizer we have ever made,” said Paul Pan, DJI Senior Product Manager. “Completely redesigned to meet the needs of today’s camera professionals, Ronin 2 makes it easier than ever to capture stunning cinematic footage under the widest variety of situations.”

A Powerful Platform For Creative Freedom

Ronin 2 gives filmmakers complete freedom to select the right camera for the shot. An enlarged camera cage and 50mm extendable arms support everything from DSLRs to full cinematic cameras and lenses. Powerful gimbal motors ensure sufficient torque to handle payloads up to 30 pounds. Aided by onboard GPS, the powerful encoded motors let Ronin 2 travel at speeds of up to 75 mph while delivering the same 0.02 degrees of sub-pixel level precision that Ronin users have come to expect.

http://www.dji.com/newsroom/news/dji-introduces-ronin-2?clickaid=1GJ7FXV0tTnUu0T7Tzw-pzVFbS0xb59R&clickpid=939637&clicksid=f753639956667bdb3688fff4add66790
promedios.tv

rick.lang

PostMon Apr 24, 2017 4:10 pm

Ben, wonder if an Aputure 300t will follow shortly after the release of the 300d? Is a bi-colour COB LED possible?

Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostMon Apr 24, 2017 4:15 pm

2017-04-24 9:15 am PDT
BMD presentation starting any moment! People still taking their seats. Watch live from BMD homepage. Grant begins at 9:30 am.

ATEM Television Studio Pro HD switcher $2,295.

BM Video Assist 4K adding a variety of waveforms in June.

UltraStudio HD Mini with Thunderbolt 3, $495.

DaVinci Resolve Studio 14 $299 no dongle!
- 10x performance playback and editing
- audio from Fairlight within Resolve, as Tim mentioned, with up to 5 bay console (modular)
- collaboration with secure chat coming

URSA Mini Pro
- existing cameras already included Bluetooth and can be controlled via an app in June

Last edited by rick.lang on Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:04 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Rick Lang

timbutt2

PostMon Apr 24, 2017 4:30 pm

Got the live stream on the AppleTV via YouTube. Super excited.

Fairlight right inside of Resolve! It's own panel!

timbutt2

PostMon Apr 24, 2017 5:23 pm

I'm ecstatic. What amazing updates. Blackmagic did not disappoint. I was looking forward to DaVinci Resolve updates, and the updates are a dream come true. Then the Bluetooth in the URSA Mini Pro is all the reason I need to upgrade from the URSA Mini. After all, everything it does is what I've been asking for for a year or more now. So happy.

Thank you Blackmagic Design for these updates!

rick.lang

PostMon Apr 24, 2017 5:29 pm

Agree that BMD did not disappoint putting an emphasis on Resolve with a much lower price (same as FCP X) and greatly increasing performance, audio functionality, editing with new effects so it's becoming the only tool you may need. May not be there yet for some people, but now their goal is clear.

Rick Lang

Peter Odio

PostMon Apr 24, 2017 7:34 pm

Blackmagic Design Announces DaVinci Resolve 14

Blackmagic Design today announced DaVinci Resolve 14, the biggest release in the history of the product, and an update that has been designed to be more than an incremental software update, but a complete revolution in post production. Blackmagic Design believes the new DaVinci Resolve will break through the stagnant toolsets used in post production, and offer a new path forward for the smallest as well as the largest facilities in the world.

New features include up to 10 times performance improvement, a whole new audio post production suite with Fairlight audio built into DaVinci Resolve, and multi user collaboration tools that let multiple people edit, color and mix audio from multiple systems, all in the same project at the same time.

What this means is that DaVinci Resolve 14 is like 3 high end applications in one. Customers get professional editing, color correction and the new Fairlight audio tools. All it takes is a single click to switch between editing, color and audio. Then the new multi user collaboration tools let everyone work on the same project at the same time, so customers no longer have to import, export, translate or conform projects.

DaVinci Resolve 14 dramatically changes post production from a linear to a parallel workflow, so everyone can work at the same time, giving editors, colorists and audio engineers more time to be creative.

In addition to extensive CPU and GPU optimizations, customers also get better threading and GPU pipelining, lower latency, much faster UI refresh rates, support for Apple Metal and much more. This makes DaVinci Resolve 14 faster and more responsive than ever so customers get incredibly fluid performance and more precise editing, even on long timelines with thousands of clips. Scrubbing and playback are instantaneous and there is powerful new acceleration for processor intensive formats like H.264, making it possible to edit 4K images on a laptop.

Legendary Fairlight audio is now fully built into the DaVinci Resolve 14 application itself. Fairlight is famous for being used at the world’s highest end studios for audio post on film and television. Fairlight is known for both its superior sound quality and its speed. Customers get a massive set of professional audio tools for recording, editing and sweetening, professional bussing, mixing and routing, and multi format mastering to 3D audio formats such as 5.1, 7.1, Dolby and even 22.2. The state of the art, super low latency audio engine is designed to work with 192kHz 96-bit audio and delivers up to 1,000 tracks with real time EQ, dynamics processing and plug-ins on every track when used with the Fairlight Audio Accelerator. Plus the new Fairlight audio can record up to 96 channels while simultaneously playing back up to 150 audio channels, while mixing it all in real time! There simply is no other software available with this level of dedicated audio power.

The new Fairlight audio in DaVinci Resolve 14 features a full multi track timeline for subframe editing of audio, down to the sample level. The mixer is designed to let customers create sophisticated sequences and has several main, sub and aux buses for mastering and delivering to multiple formats at the same time. Every channel on the mixer features real time 6 band parametric EQ, along with expander/gate, compressor and limiter dynamics. Clip time warping lets customers stretch or compress audio without shifting pitch. In addition, every single parameter can be automated, even VST plug ins, using a variety of automation modes.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/release/20170424-01
promedios.tv

Peter Odio

PostMon Apr 24, 2017 7:39 pm

Blackmagic Design Announces Remote Bluetooth Camera Control for URSA Mini Pro

Blackmagic Design announced a new open protocol for URSA Mini Pro cameras that will allow customers to create their own remote control solutions via Bluetooth. The API and sample code anticipated to be released to customers free of charge in June 2017.

All URSA Mini Pro cameras feature built in bluetooth, but it hasn’t been enabled until now. The built in Bluetooth will allow customers to send and receive commands from up to 30 feet away. To make the new Bluetooth support even more flexible, Blackmagic Design has developed a new open protocol and is publishing a developer API, along with sample code, for customers that wish to build their own camera control solutions.

A demonstration iPad app and sample code will be provided to customers that want to use this feature. The iPad app allows customers to create digital slate applications that feed metadata, such as scene, shot, take information and even full script lines to multiple cameras on set while shooting. Common remote control of camera settings like frame rate, format and shutter angle are all possible from the demo app.

With a fully open API and developer support for URSA Mini Pro Bluetooth, customers can go well beyond the demonstration app. They can build an iPad application to remotely adjust camera settings and motorized lenses while the camera is mounted on a crane. Technically skilled customers could even build an application that uses the camera’s built in DaVinci Resolve color corrector so that images can be graded live during a shoot.

New workflows are also possible. A great example of this is that customers can mount Blackmagic URSA Studio Viewfinders on multiple URSA Mini Pro cameras to create a live multi camera shooting scenario, however instead of connecting to a switcher, the iPad can trigger all cameras to record to their internal media with matching metadata. This means the media can be later edited using DaVinci Resolve 14 multicam editing to work as fast as live production, however with the accuracy of post production. That’s faster, lower cost and higher quality editing than was easily possible in the past.

“URSA Mini Pro has been received extremely well by our customers,” said Grant Petty, Blackmagic Design CEO. “Customers love the broadcast features and controls, the built in ND filters and interchangeable lens mount. Now, the possibilities are truly endless because customers are going to have the tools they need to build completely custom remote control solutions of their own design using the new Bluetooth support!”

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/release/20170424-03
promedios.tv

Peter Odio

PostMon Apr 24, 2017 7:41 pm

Blackmagic Design Announces New Professional Scopes and Multi Lingual Support for Video Assist

Blackmagic Design today announced the immediate availability of Blackmagic Video Assist 2.4 update which adds support for multi-lingual support for 10 separate languages. This means customers can now use Video Assist in their native language. This update is available now as a free update for all Blackmagic Video Assist and Blackmagic Video Assist 4K customers.

Also demonstrated at the NAB 2017 show are powerful new professional scopes operating on the Blackmagic Video Assist 4K model, including waveform, RGB parade, vectorscope and histogram that can be viewed full screen for accurately evaluating video signals passing through Blackmagic Video Assist 4K. These scopes are shown as a development preview and will also be available in June as a software update free of charge for all Blackmagic Video Assist 4K customers.

The new scopes make the Blackmagic Video Assist 4K model perfect for live production monitoring, as portable test scope for broadcasters, and even for balancing color when color grading using the RGB parade scope.

The new localized Video Assist adds interface support for Chinese, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish and Turkish. This broad language support now makes it easier for more customers to use Video Assist anywhere in the world.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/release/20170424-04
promedios.tv

rick.lang

PostMon Apr 24, 2017 8:35 pm

Here are new 2x Orion anamorphic primes from Atlas Lens Company:

http://www.newsshooter.com/2017/04/24/a ... namorphic/

Rick Lang

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Apr 24, 2017 11:11 pm

Just a heads up, only products related to BMD or working with our products will be allowed in the thread. Others will be removed.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

rick.lang

PostMon Apr 24, 2017 11:12 pm

Thanks, Tony.

Rick Lang

timbutt2

PostTue Apr 25, 2017 3:21 am

Dan May speaks at NAB 2017: http://www.nabshowbuzz.com/blackmagic-d ... interview/

He talks about the Resolve updates and the URSA Mini Pro Bluetooth.

Adam Archer

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 5:48 am

This is interesting and apparently being showcased with Resolve at NAB. Twice as fast as a Pascal Titan X by AMD testing.

http://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases ... apr24.aspx

rick.lang

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 1:50 pm

EF lens to PL mount camera? Not a problem with the Tokina EF-PL adapter:

http://www.newsshooter.com/2017/04/27/t ... -pl-mount/

Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 4:28 pm

Nice, too bad no one is making a EF to PL non-optical block adapter, or the opposite (Metabones are you reading this) a EF to PL focal reducer x0.71 to allow 135 manual EF (or adaptered Nikon F) to S35.
This would solve my issue if using my Zeiss ZF 28.mm on a PL mount Ursa Mini 4K.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 7:53 pm

Tokina has announced their 25mm and 18mm T1.5 Vista primes (covering VistaVision). Just add money and voilà:

http://www.newsshooter.com/2017/04/27/t ... -nab-2017/

Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 8:15 pm

NiSi Natural Night filter designed for shooting under those awful street lights to remove the spikes in the spectrum (other goodies shown in the video):

http://www.newsshooter.com/2017/04/27/n ... -nab-2017/

Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 8:29 pm

Manfrotto Nitrotech N8 head with continuous counterbalance for $449! Shown with the URSA Mini Pro on the head:

http://www.newsshooter.com/2017/04/28/m ... -nab-2017/

Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 8:38 pm

Tilts Nucleus M redefining a budget price point for wireless follow focus, shown with URSA Mini and BM Viewfinder:

http://www.newsshooter.com/2017/04/28/t ... -nab-2017/

Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 8:45 pm

And their budget version of follow focus from Bright Tangerine, the Revolvr Atom:

http://www.newsshooter.com/2017/04/28/b ... -nab-2017/

Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 4:33 am

These are nice kit bits Rick, but a filter at $300! And the rest is $1600 up! Too much for me I am afraid! But thanks for sharing.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 4:09 pm

May be an unique filter though tackling a difficult nighttime scene lighting situation. Doesn't replace bringing your own lights to the scene, but calms down the ugliness from available lights and much cheaper than changing street light sources if that's an alternative.

Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 4:52 pm

Yes Rick, I agree, it is a good filter for using in these situations, but I wish it was a little less expensive, like the NiSi NDs. Guess, I will have to save up some money for this one. :mrgreen:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 7:01 pm

New Aladdin AMS 100TD LED with their typical high CRI coming this summer:

http://www.newsshooter.com/2017/04/30/a ... panel-led/

Rick Lang
PreviousNext

Return to Getting Started