Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt Not Detected

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Thomas Overend

Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt Not Detected

PostWed Apr 12, 2017 11:32 pm

I am banging my head against a wall trying to get a Blackmagic Design Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt to work.

I have an MSI GS40 6QE Phantom. The port is definitely Thunderbolt 3.

I am connected to the Shuttle by a Thunderbolt 2 cable with a Thunderbolt 3 adapter.

There is a single HDMI cable in the HDMI IN port, connected to a Canon XA20.

I have installed and reinstalled all Thunderbolt driver and firmware. My laptop is up-to-date with all drivers as listed on MSI's website, and I have updated the BIOS and enabled the Thunderbolt firmware update through that. I have installed the Blackmagic software.

I have the camera set up to output HDMI at 50i.

However, nothing is detected. I can see, via the Thunderbolt software, that 'Port 1' shows up, but no other device information is available.

When I open Desktop Video Setup, it says "No Desktop Video Device Detected".

Should the unit light up or something? There is no evidence of it even recieving power. There is absolutely no indication of the unit being anything more than an expensive paperweight.

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

Re: Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt Not Detected

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 5:47 pm

Have you tried a different adapter? A way to eliminate the Shuttle from being the issue here is by checking the device with an actual Thunderbolt 1/2 port on a Mac/Windows system.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

RaulRamirez

PostSun Jun 11, 2017 8:22 pm

Hello, Toda i Start My Macbook and the system toldme there was an update, i accept it, and the o connect my blackmagic design intensity shuttle with thunderbolt as usual and i had this message.

"no desktop video device detected" and i can't solve it

i re start the computer 5 times
use diferent port
plug and unplug several times
uninstall and reinstall the blackmagic design desktop video

and the situation still the same

Please Help me, i dont know what to do

Colin Barrett

PostMon Jun 12, 2017 10:31 pm

I have used a Shuttle Thunderbolt on one of my Mac workstations since 2012 (although it's now been shelved in favour of an Ultrastudio Express Thunderbolt on the system in question - much, much better!) and this was a problem I experienced a lot. It turns out that the Thuderbolt cable itself had developed a fault because when I obtained another one it worked ok. I don't know what changed the status of the first cable, though!

The Intensity Shuttle isn't the most reliable piece of BMD kit, it has to be said. It's very flaky and temperamental.
Blackmagic Teranex 2D, Ultrastudio Express, Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt), H.264 Pro Recorder (all Mac OSX) & lots of old VTRs used for digital archiving of legacy video formats for major libraries, broadcasters, universities and public archives.

Return to Getting Started