SCART to USB / Lightening

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

andyrubio

SCART to USB / Lightening

PostSat Apr 15, 2017 8:01 pm

Hi,

I've got a mountain of VHS tapes I want to save as digital files. I'm not content to use a low-quality converter because

low quality x low quality = lower quality still

Which Blackmagic product will do this for me? I reckon the Blackmagic Design BINTSSHU Intensity Shuttle. I guess I'd need to convert from SCART to something else, presue is do-able.

Thanks,
Andy

andyrubio

Re: SCART to USB / Lightening

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 7:09 pm

I'm surprised that no-one from Blackmagic Design has responded to my question. I want to buy one, but not if it won't do what I need it to do.

Xtreemtec

PostMon May 01, 2017 3:46 pm

This is a user forum.. There are moderators from BMD but they don't respond to every topic..

The problem with VCR's is that the video output is unstable.. You need to add a timebase corrector between it to capture with BMD hardware to get a clean signal without dropped frames..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Colin Barrett

PostMon May 01, 2017 7:43 pm

andyrubio wrote:Hi,

I've got a mountain of VHS tapes I want to save as digital files. I'm not content to use a low-quality converter because

low quality x low quality = lower quality still

Which Blackmagic product will do this for me? I reckon the Blackmagic Design BINTSSHU Intensity Shuttle. I guess I'd need to convert from SCART to something else, presue is do-able.

Thanks,
Andy

Don't but an Intensity Shuttle - whether Thunderbolt or USB 3.0. They have an inherent problem. I'd recommend the Ultrastudio Express - but make sure your off-tape video signals are Timebase Corrected otherwise Media Express (or other capture software) will drop frames within seconds due to the unstable, off-tape video signal. Blackmagic's promotional materials don't tell you this.

The Ultrastudio Express comes with two sets of breakout cables - one for professional video/audio connections, the other consumer connections. It's a great piece of kit that's much better than the Shuttle. I'm thinking of buying a second.
Blackmagic Teranex 2D, Ultrastudio Express, Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt), Two H.264 Pro Recorders (Mac OSX) & lots of old VTRs used for digital archiving of legacy video formats for major libraries, broadcasters, universities and public archives.

andyrubio

PostSun May 07, 2017 8:12 am

Awesome thanks guys! I appreciate the advice.

Andy :)

Return to Getting Started