ATEM Television Studio Switcher

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Steve Merrick

ATEM Television Studio Switcher

PostMon Apr 17, 2017 7:35 pm

I have a switcher. I bought it for LiveStream. When I bought it, I almost bought a digital video converter (from Matrox maybe), in order to get the signal into my mac. The person at bhphoto told me that he thought I probably wouldn't need it. Is this true or false? Right now I have HDMI plugged into my Mac through a minidisplayport converter, but I am only seeing audio and no video. Do I need to buy other hardware in order to do LiveStream, and if so what?

Thomas Seewald

Re: ATEM Television Studio Switcher

PostTue Apr 18, 2017 9:37 am

Do we talk about the old Television Studio model or the new one ?

The old one had an USB2-connector, which was able to send a H.264 stream to a computer. There are two known programs, which can read this data and stream - MXPTiny and MXLight.

I the new one TVS HD don't have it. That's is the reason, why Blackmagic offers the new web presenter ;-)

I don't know any about Macs, but I am really sure, that they don't have video inputs, neither as HDMI, nor as display port. So when you want to insert any video source, you wll need additional hardware.
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Scott Smith

PostTue Apr 18, 2017 5:06 pm

That mini-display port is for going from your mac into the switcher - not the other way around. Blackmagic offers loads of devices to get the video into your mac.
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

Leon Benzakein

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 2:41 pm

It is my understanding that you still need to convert the video signal to IP.

Take a look at this from BMD.( as stated by Thomas Seewald)

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... bpresenter
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

Return to Getting Started