USB 3.1 type C

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Sergey Stoyanov

USB 3.1 type C

PostTue Apr 18, 2017 6:52 pm

Hello everyone!

Long story short but because of an media event I will be building a new computer for doing the graphics but I will also be using BMD UltraStudio Mini Recorder.
The motherboard I have chosen is ASUS TUF Z270 MARK 1 mainly because it is rated for 24/7 operation and is of very good quality. Intel Core i7 7700k CPU and all the usual stuff that goes for a computer like this.
My question is if anyone have an idea is if the integrated on the MB USB 3.1 type C will work with an adapter to run my Mini recorder. I have searched long and wide about information if they are internally connected to the computers PCE lanes, but I can not find an answer to this as of yet.

So please if anyone have come up with similar problem to share his experience if possible as am really limited in options mainly in terms of time for delivery of components.

Thank you!

Thomas Seewald

Re: USB 3.1 type C

PostTue Apr 18, 2017 7:48 pm

It will be a desktop PC. So why don't you use an internal card ? There is also a cheep Decklink Mini Monitor available.
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Sergey Stoyanov

PostTue Apr 18, 2017 7:51 pm

Thomas Seewald wrote:It will be a desktop PC. So why don't you use an internal card ? There is also a cheep Decklink Mini Monitor available.

Because sadly I own 2 UltraStudio Mini Recorder and there is no time for delivery of new parts.
Sad part of living where I am ...

Adam Simmons

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 6:00 am

Isn't the Ultrastudio mini recorder TB? Then no it won't work as the USB 3 C sockets on your board are just USB 3.1 not TB 3.

If you'd bought a board that had TB 3 sockets then you could use a convertor, but then you might as well have just bought in internal cards instead as you would have to wait for the convertors anyway, and can probably only use 1 at a time as most boards only have 1 TB 3 socket on them.

The board you have purchased does have a TB header so you could buy in a TB card to put in the system.

Not sure if the Gigabyte one is compatible, but it's cheaper than the Asus one and has 2 TB 3 'C' sockets
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/gigabyt ... dd-in-card
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

Return to Getting Started