Blackmagic Video Assist

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

leonsimons

Blackmagic Video Assist

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 10:59 am

Hello everybody,
i just bought the Blackmagic video Assist monitor( the 5 inch on not the 4k one)
And I have a few questions someone will hopefully help me with:
1)I assembled it to a Canon 700D and when I turn the monitor on the camera screen is mirror to the monitor instead of showing me what the camera sees? How can I change that to record what the camera sees?
2)And also the camera screen is not comparable with the monitor screen there is a black space next the monitor wich will also be recorded. Instead i only wish the record what the camera sees?
3) How can I change the Framerate and Frames per Second to 1080p25?
Because I record with it on the camera but the monitor shows otherwise?
4) How can I record audio when I can only connect the microphone with the camera instead of the the monitor? Will in be transferred through HDMI or is another step I need to do?
I hope you can help me quickly
Thank you for your Help
Leon
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2017-04-29 um 1.01.38 PM.png
Bildschirmfoto 2017-04-29 um 1.01.38 PM.png (669.41 KiB) Viewed 1423 times

Patrick Baldwin

Re: Blackmagic Video Assist

PostMon May 01, 2017 6:12 pm

Hi Leon. I don't have a 700D but I can tell you with some confidence that the problems you are having are all related to settings on the camera and not the video assist. You need to find where in your camera menus you can send a signal that just sends the video and not the screen overlay. It is what is called a "Clean" HDMI signal although you camera menu won't call it that. Try different settings in the HDMI menu of your camera. Be warned though, some lower end cameras cannot send a "clean" signal. My Nikon 7000 can't for example.
The audio that the camera captures should get sent through the HDMI cable to the VA without problem.
The frame rate may have to be changed in your project settings when you get the footage into your editor. I have a similar "problem" with my Nikons.
I hope this is of some assistance to you.
Best wishes. Patrick.

John Barker

PostTue May 02, 2017 8:13 am

As Patrick mentioned, you'll need a clean feed through the HDMI connection.

Sadly though, I too have a 700d and can confirm that it DOES NOT have a clean feed option within the menus (even if you try Magic Lantern) it will simply not work with the Video Assist as a 100% clean feed.

I believe you have to go right up to a 7d before you can get a true clean feed from the Canon range of cameras.

Cheers
John Barker
heretorecord.com

Denny Smith

PostTue May 02, 2017 3:14 pm

If you are serious about shooting some nice Cine type video, forget the Canon, the DSLRs are purposely "crippled" as Canon and Sony want you to buy their higher end Cine/Video cameras, get a camera designed to shoot higher end video. Since you already have,the VA, consider getting a BM Micro Cinema or the Micro Studio camera (which can record to the VA as HD) for nice Rec709 recording. Both wil, work with the VA and give you much better image quality over any Canon DSLR. You can add the Metabones BMPCC/EF Speed Booster, which will allow you to use your Canon lenses.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Getting Started