Only able to get video on 2 ports on DeckLink Duo 2?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Dee Dee Sommers

Only able to get video on 2 ports on DeckLink Duo 2?

PostFri May 05, 2017 10:13 am

We have a new DeckLink Duo 2 card in a Sonnet Echo Express SE 1 expansion chassis connected via Thunderbolt 2 to a late-2015 27" 5K iMac with core i7 processor. The intention is to accommodate 3 SDI inputs from PTZOptics cameras, possibly adding a fourth in the future.

In testing the new setup, we are only able to get video from 2 connections at a time. Of the 5 connectors on the card, only the 2nd and 4th connectors seem to give us anything. They show up in the Desktop Video pane as SDI 1 and SDI 2.

What do we need to do to enjoy 3 or 4 inputs?
Thank you for your advice.
Dee Dee on location in the UK

Steinar H. Gunderson

Re: Only able to get video on 2 ports on DeckLink Duo 2?

PostFri May 05, 2017 10:24 am

They come up in a strange setting where two SDI connections are put together in pairs, in order to maintain compatibility with the older Duo cards. Go into the Desktop Video setup utility, and you can reconfigure the four SDI ports to be independent.

They're still in a strange order (1 3 2 4 instead of 1 2 3 4); you can't do anything about that.

Dee Dee Sommers

PostFri May 05, 2017 12:11 pm

Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:They come up in a strange setting where two SDI connections are put together in pairs, in order to maintain compatibility with the older Duo cards. Go into the Desktop Video setup utility, and you can reconfigure the four SDI ports to be independent.

They're still in a strange order (1 3 2 4 instead of 1 2 3 4); you can't do anything about that.

Thank you for your help! Yes, I did do the independent assignments for each connection to address a single port. But still, I only get video out of the second and fourth connections.

I'm lost.
Thanks to all for advice.
Dee Dee

Dee Dee Sommers

PostFri May 05, 2017 11:37 pm

Got it figured out finally.
So yeah, the ports are numbered funny etc. Bottom line, we now have video out of our 3 cameras.

JohanBlome

PostSun Aug 13, 2017 6:26 pm

Dee Dee Sommers wrote:Got it figured out finally.
So yeah, the ports are numbered funny etc. Bottom line, we now have video out of our 3 cameras.

Did you do anything special? I have the connectors just like you at 1,3,2,4 and I only get input on 1 and 3.
Johan

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Aug 14, 2017 9:50 pm

This is mentioned on the support page of the website under Capture and Playback>Latest Support Notes.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

JohanBlome

PostTue Aug 15, 2017 7:43 am

Seems like there have been some updates lately that correct this. I had Desktop Video 10.8.4 installed and that did not work. Upgrading to latest (10.9.5) solved it.
The update was a pain (it failed upgrading fw(?) on the card twice).

Desktop Video utility is still very slow to pickup changes in the inputs so it cannot be trusted when checking for inputs.
Do the Desktop Video utility poll the inputs? Can this frequency be changed? Once every second should be fine.
Currently the best way of knowing that you have signal is to actually try and open an input.

I am happy now that it does seem to work (some testing remains).

Return to Getting Started