Best setup for capturing audio

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

mikehurley

Best setup for capturing audio

PostSat May 06, 2017 2:49 pm

Hello All,

I am new to the Blackmagic products and have been using the Web Presenter with the Teranex Mini Smart Panel. I am wondering what types of audio setups others are using with successful results. I am interested in possibly getting a mic with XLR connection to the WP.

Thanks,
Mike

Scott Smith

Re: Best setup for capturing audio

PostWed May 10, 2017 11:58 am

Very nicely and politely said, Robert. That was one of the most generic questions I've ever seen on here, right after ""How do I light something?", and "how do you cook stuff?"

Mike, every situation is different. That's why there are many types of microphones, and a whole industry based around many different needs for audio.

But the one thing I can quickly tell you about your proposed audio setup so far, even as generic as it was . . . . The web presenter takes a line level input (which is at a +4 dB level), while the vast majority of microphones output at mic level (anywhere from -30 to -60 dB level). Microphones are very low signal level. They need to be boosted before going into most gear. The typical way to boost that is to use an audio board that outputs line level audio, plug your mic into that, set a level, then that goes into the web presenter. You can't plug a mic straight into the web presenter, or you simply won't hear it.
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

Lee Gauthier

PostWed May 10, 2017 4:41 pm

If you don't have or want to buy an audio board, there are box mixers and other boost boxes that will boost a mic signal to line strength for less money.

Denny Smith

PostThu May 11, 2017 3:50 pm

A good small stand alone two-channel mixer is the Sound Devices MixPre, which can be had used for resonalble cost. Also the MixPre-D is the newer version, but costs a little more. It can take your Pro XLR type mic, and give you a "Unity" +4dB line level output the WP is looking for. There are other similar mixers that can also do this, but a used MixPre is a better investment, and has excellent mic pre amps.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

RobStowell

PostTue Jun 06, 2017 12:09 am

If you're also using a reasonably capable camera, the best option is to find a decent mic and connect it to your camera. Use the camera's audio level controls, and the audio should be embedded in the hdsdi or hdmi signal. So far, I find it safest to by-pass the web presenter's separate audio inputs completely. They are ... not easy to work with.

Return to Getting Started