saliva dots on the glass in front of the sensor

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Adam Leslie

saliva dots on the glass in front of the sensor

PostMon May 08, 2017 7:47 pm

Hiya!

My friend (honestly, not me!) recently blew on the glass in front of the sensor to clear a speck of dust, and the chump left visible saliva dots in its place.

I've tried using a Lenspen to remove the dots, with no luck. Can any kind soul out there recommend a way to clean the glass? Is there a solution I can use?

Thanks! :)

Adam Leslie

Re: saliva dots on the glass in front of the sensor

PostTue May 09, 2017 10:54 pm

Robert Lane wrote:The Lenspen is horribly insufficient at doing any real cleaning to a sensor or it's protective front-glass. You're going to need a real sensor cleaning kit (check out the offerings from B&H).

My personal recommendation is the "Sensor Scope".

Excellent kit and be sure to follow the instructions.

And if you ever see your friend about to blow into the camera again, smack him on the head first. Just sayin'...

Fab, thank you. I may have to bill him for this stuff I'm buying! :)

Ulysses Paiva

PostWed May 10, 2017 1:16 pm

I think you can succesfully clean it with a (glasses) appropriate smooth cloth only. If its hard to remove the splatches like they already dried and hardened, then try to put just a few drops of water to the cloth, just enough to make it a bit humid and that should do the trick. I've done that before a few times. But no saliva involved. :lol:

Much likely it will leave some very small cloth fibers that everytime you try to clean, another gets stuck elsewhere. That can be solved with a small and not hard surface like, for example, a (dry) tooth stick. I've used a tooth stick sucessfully before to remove cloth fibers and other dust dots. It's soft enought to not scratch the glass and also hard enough to control it.
Ulysses Paiva

Adam Leslie

PostWed May 10, 2017 1:21 pm

Oh brilliant, thank you, I shall give that a go - I think there's a lens cloth in the bag. It's not even my camera, so I was a bit horrified! :)

Return to Getting Started