Photoshop video options / alternatives (on Linux)

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Ian MacLean

Photoshop video options / alternatives (on Linux)

PostWed May 17, 2017 11:32 pm

I am building a PC system for filmmaking and have some newbie questions. I hope no one minds, and I'm looking more for an overview than specific answers.

-I've built a competent PC with dual boot SSD's. One for Linux, one for Win 10. I'm very excited about running both Resolve and Fusion on Linux (currently OpenSuse Leap). I would LOVE to not have to run Win 10 at all, but the remaining capability I'd like to have is Photoshop Video.

-I'm under the impression that while there's some overlap between these three programs, the kind of animations I'd like to apply to video can only be done on Photoshop. (I've bought a Huion pen / graphics tablet for this purpose). First question: Are there powerful alternatives I haven't considered? I'm not under the impression that there is an easier and more powerful option than running Photoshop on either Wine or PlayOnLinux.

-Are the input / output workflow issues (to Resolve and Fusion) manageable, or will this end up a giant and ungovernable headache? Maybe I just need to run Windows for stability. If so, what's the easiest file transfer option? A disk readable by both OS's? Is that doable?

Again, I'm not looking for a lot of your time, just an overview to help me do my own research. Many thanks.
Resolve V 15.2.2007 1 GPU on KDE neon 5.14
KDE Plasma Version: 5.14.5
Qt Version: 5.11.2
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.54.0
Kernel Version: 4.15.0-45-generic
Processors: 12 × Intel® Core™ i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz 64-bit
Memory: 31.2 GiB of RAM

Aaron Nye

Re: Photoshop video options / alternatives (on Linux)

PostFri May 19, 2017 8:09 pm

I don't really know how it compares but there is a plugin for GIMP called GAP (GIMP Animation Package) that allows you to work with the frames of an AVI as images. I'd wager that it's not as simple as the PS video stuff but it's functional and free. If you have some experience with GIMP it should be a narrow learning curve but you can only import AVI videos so you'll need to build a decent FFMPEG script.

It's actually pretty easy to make a disk readable/ writable by both OS's and there are tons of tutorials on how. The thing to remember is that Windows hates native Linux anything so if you want a shared drive it needs to be shared with Windows in mind. Make it an NTFS format and Linux can read/ write but if you make it an EXT2, 3, or 4, Windows will see it as an evil thing that must be eradicated. NFS is also an option, but that's a set of configuration headaches you probably don't want.

PlayonLinux and WinE tend to give mixed results with Adobe software. If you have the kind of time to get it working properly (especially with proprietary drivers) you're a better person than I.

My standing frustration with Linux creative applications is the utter lack of functional CMYK colorspace, but that's wildly unrelated to your question (I'm just soapboxing).

Ian MacLean

Re: Photoshop video options / alternatives (on Linux)

PostTue May 23, 2017 10:39 pm

Thanks for that information. Any other opinions of Adobe on virtual software?

*Edit. I've been looking, but haven't found the power that I saw in an earlier demonstration. No matter. I may use VMware Workstation Player (free) to create art and then bring it in to either Resolve or Fusion and keyframe it there. Thanks for help.
Resolve V 15.2.2007 1 GPU on KDE neon 5.14
KDE Plasma Version: 5.14.5
Qt Version: 5.11.2
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.54.0
Kernel Version: 4.15.0-45-generic
Processors: 12 × Intel® Core™ i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz 64-bit
Memory: 31.2 GiB of RAM

Return to Getting Started