Which card can I use my 1440p 144hz monitor with?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Ryan Cole

Which card can I use my 1440p 144hz monitor with?

PostTue May 30, 2017 10:15 pm

Hi folks,

I'm new to capture cards. I'm familiar with single PC setups, using OBS, though.

I just built a new PC and want to install a capture card in my old PC. I'd like to have a 2 PC streaming setup, for streaming to Twitch.

My gaming PC uses a BenQ 1440p 144Hz monitor. I've read that most capture cards don't support much higher than 1080p 60Hz, and also downscale your monitor to those specs because the capture card is used as a monitor pass through (gaming PC's graphics card -> streaming PC's capture card -> gaming PC's monitor).

I don't want to sacrifice the quality of my gaming monitor just to stream, though. So, I've been looking around for capture cards that just support these higher resolution, higher refresh rate monitors.

Does blackmagic offer a capture card that would "just work" and allow me to notice no down scaling or performance hits to my gaming PC?

Thanks!

Jack Fairley

Re: Which card can I use my 1440p 144hz monitor with?

PostTue May 30, 2017 11:29 pm

You won't be able to directly capture the signal like usual, but the workaround will let you use a cheap capture card, like the Mini Recorder 4K.

On the computer running the game, connect one GPU output to the monitor as normal, and connect the other to the capture card of the second computer. Run OBS on the game computer, and add a game capture source. Then right click the preview window and send preview to the second monitor, which is the capture card. On the capture PC, you should get working video and audio to the capture card, and can do the streaming like a typical dual-PC setup.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Return to Getting Started