Multiview 16+Intensity Shuttle(thunderbolt) no input/output

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Peter Stroh

Multiview 16+Intensity Shuttle(thunderbolt) no input/output

PostWed Jun 07, 2017 11:35 am

Hello there,

I hope you can help me with my problem.

Current setup:
I'm connecting a Macbook Pro (2015) via HDMI to a Blackmagic Micro Converter HDMI to SDI which connects to a Blackmagic MultiView 16. The output from the Multiview via HDMI to a Dell monitor works fine.

MacbookPro--> Converter-->Multiview-->Monitor = OK

My problem:
I want to capture the output of the Multiview with an intensity shuttle thunderbolt which is connected to a MacBook Pro and also show the output of the Multiview on a monitor in real-time.

MacbookPro1--> Converter-->Multiview-->Intensity Shuttle (connected to MacbookPro2)-->Monitor = Black Screen on Monitor and in Capture Software (Blackmagic Media Express)

I have the latest software installed and the Desktop Video Setup detects the Intensity Shuttle but shows no input.

I have made sure the resolution match in Desktop Video Setup and Media Express.

Possible Solution? Questions!
1. I have looked up probable issues and so far my first idea was that I need to select the correct input. Wanting to do that I was not able to find any information on the Multiview and what kind of resolution the HDMI output provides. Is there a document where I can find the specification of the HDMI output of the Multiview 16?

2. Another idea was changing the input to make sure the problem is not the HDMI DCDP/HDCP which might be an issue as well? But seeing as the HDMI is converted to SDI this shouldn't be the problem.

The following inputs will be added in the future: camera (SDI), tablet(HDMI), microscope(SDI) and 2 additional devices.

3. Am I right in the assumption that it does not matter what inputs are added to the Multiview the output specification of the HDMI will stay the same? So using a 3x3 grid on the Multiview and then changing the number of devices won't interfere with the Intensity Shuttle capture once I have it set up properly?

Thank you for reading. I appreciate any input, suggestion or help.
Peter Stroh

Peter Stroh

Re: Multiview 16+Intensity Shuttle(thunderbolt) no input/out

PostFri Aug 04, 2017 9:32 am

I have been successful in getting a picture with the above setup after a bit of tinkering. Unfortunately when I add the Intensity Shuttle to the setup the picture gets really dark and the colours are way off.

Using the multiview and different sources without the intensity shuttle it looks like you would expect.
without_intensity_shuttle.jpg
pic without intensity shuttle
without_intensity_shuttle.jpg (577.39 KiB) Viewed 1106 times

When I use the intensity shuttle to record the multiview output the colours are wrong:
with_Intensity_shuttle.jpg
with intensity shuttle
with_Intensity_shuttle.jpg (853.65 KiB) Viewed 1106 times

The output looks the same in Media Express so I'm assuming this is not a problem with the monitor but with the intensity shuttle. Notice that even the border grid disappears...

Does anyone happen to know why exactly this happens? Is this a software setting I might have overlooked?

Return to Getting Started