Codecs for Assist 5 monitor

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Gary Cuthbertson

Codecs for Assist 5 monitor

PostTue Jun 13, 2017 9:37 am

Hi there just purchased two of these units and I am a little confused about the codecs.
I am using Sony V1 cameras and edit on MC8 Symphony. On Wikipedia the codecs listed available to me all seem to be non English but American NTSC 29 frames ect. Although the unit is set to English I assume that's only the the language not the codecs what would be the best codec for me to use.
I always trans code the files when in MC8 to DNX HD120 I assume and so when it come to DVD production.. yes you may have gathered its Gary the Stegasorus Dinosaur would I use upper field or lower field for the order
Thanks
Gary

Denny Smith

Re: Codecs for Assist 5 monitor

PostWed Jun 14, 2017 2:08 am

The VA records to ProRes and DNxHd codecs, which are selectable in the recording menus. If you want to use U.K. 50hz settings, you can set the VA to 50hz operation. Otherwise, the VA records the resolution and frame rate output of the camera connected, not sure what the Sony V1 can output, but connect the camera to the VA, and the camera resolution and frame rate (i.e 1080p50 or 1080i50) will be displayed in the upper left hand corner.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Getting Started