Video Assist File naming

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Ian Froment

Video Assist File naming

PostTue Jun 20, 2017 4:37 pm

Hi, recently on a multi camera shoot we came across a problem with file names created on our 3 Video Assists. 2x4K 1x1080. All recorded the same name for each take i.e. Capture0000.mov following. This created much confusion in post and footage was over written. Very unhappy editors/directors.
Is it possible to change them names system on the Assists to indicate the camera or just be individual? This seams to me to be needed and so I would expect an solution. Though have looked many places to no avail.

Please help.

Denny Smith

Re: Video Assist File naming

PostWed Jun 21, 2017 5:05 pm

Not currently, the VA uses a date/time stamp with clip no sequence for file names. Try setting the date differently on the other VA's. Also some have posted schemes to rename the files before handing them to editors. I label my cards physically with card no.s unique to each card, and slate the first clip with camera no/card no and productio name, etc (old film day technique).

A solution would be to have device name/number option in VA Setup menu, as some of the BM camera's have (Pocket/Micro cameras) which is part of the SD card file name Even a user-bit in the first digit, that would be unique to each VA would work.

The VAs are not really setup for multi camera shoots perse. :roll:

Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Ian Froment

PostThu Jun 22, 2017 12:16 pm

Thanks Denny Smith, maybe they will bring a firmware update that sorts this soon PLEASE BM. Thanks for the idea on the date and time change. Could you point me to the threads, I did a seach and could not find them.

Ian

BrandonThompson

PostFri Oct 06, 2017 1:44 am

Ian Froment wrote:Thanks Denny Smith, maybe they will bring a firmware update that sorts this soon PLEASE BM. Thanks for the idea on the date and time change. Could you point me to the threads, I did a seach and could not find them.

Ian

I would be interested in reading these threads too!

Luca Rocchini

PostWed Feb 27, 2019 5:28 pm

Ian Froment wrote:Hi, recently on a multi camera shoot we came across a problem with file names created on our 3 Video Assists. 2x4K 1x1080. All recorded the same name for each take i.e. Capture0000.mov following. This created much confusion in post and footage was over written. Very unhappy editors/directors.
Is it possible to change them names system on the Assists to indicate the camera or just be individual? This seams to me to be needed and so I would expect an solution. Though have looked many places to no avail.

Please help.

Any updates relating to this?

I would like to have the same file name on my VA and Ursa in order to record proxies on the VA and full BRAW on the Ursa.
This so that the client can edit on the proxies and then I can reconnect the raw footage for grading without having to rename all the files or having to bother my client with processing the BRAW files before editing.

Any news then?
Luca Rocchini DOP

URSA MINI PRO 4.6K, EF, PL, SSD Recorder, BM VA 4K, Nikon AIS

http://www.lucarocchini.com/

David Schwartz

PostMon Jul 15, 2019 7:20 pm

I found the threads by searching "video assist file rename."

Return to Getting Started