Lens Choice for BM Micro Studio Camera

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Alan Morgenstern

Lens Choice for BM Micro Studio Camera

PostTue Jun 27, 2017 7:28 pm

Hi I am trying to learn more about lens choices for my BM Micro Studio Camera 4k.

Ideally I would want a B4 Mount ENG lens but I really don't want to spend 6k on it. I purchased a used B4 Mount Fujinon HD Lens and have learned that the camera will not control that lens and requires me to use external power for the lens.

Any suggestions for a good general use / cost effective lens? (MFT or B4) with zoom equivalent to a 16x

Baz

Re: Lens Choice for BM Micro Studio Camera

PostTue Jun 27, 2017 11:18 pm

MISC
U/S Express, SmartviewDuo, SmartScopeDuo, Teranex 2D, Web Pres, 5/7 Vid Assists
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
Studio, Shuttle, Studio Mini
ATEM
2me4K, 2me, TVS, TVS HD, CamConvs, StudioConvs, Studio Cams, Micro Studio Cam

Dmitry Kitsov BMD

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jun 27, 2017 11:44 pm

Hello, Alan,
if the lens you have acquired has a servo unit with a Hirose connector, then it is possible for MicroStudio Camera 4K to control this lens.
There is an accessory cable available: B4 Control Adapter Cable/CABLE-MSC4K/B4 that should allow you to control the lens and to power it. You will need to use an external power source to supply camera and lens with power, either though a supplied Expansion cable or custom made cable.
Blackmagic Design Sr.Technical Support Engineer

Denny Smith

PostWed Jun 28, 2017 12:55 am

Also, you are going to need a optically corrected B4 to MFT mount adapter. There are two models made for the BM S16 MFT sensor cameras (Pocket, Micro Cinema and Micro Studio) from MTF Services and Abel Cine. B&H carries the MTF Servoces, and you can order direct for AbelCine for theirs.

A non-optically corrected adapter is a waste of time, image will be too soft and vignetted.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Alan Morgenstern

PostWed Jun 28, 2017 3:31 pm

Dmitry Kitsov BMD wrote:Hello, Alan,
if the lens you have acquired has a servo unit with a Hirose connector, then it is possible for MicroStudio Camera 4K to control this lens.
There is an accessory cable available: B4 Control Adapter Cable/CABLE-MSC4K/B4 that should allow you to control the lens and to power it. You will need to use an external power source to supply camera and lens with power, either though a supplied Expansion cable or custom made cable.

Hi Dmitry,
The Lens does have the Hirose connector and I have the BMD B4 adaptor cable but it does not seem to power to it. (Even using the camera's external PSU) With an external power supply the lens operates properly but I have not been able to get it to work with the BMD MSC. The lens is a FUJINON EAGLE III A16X9.5BERM-28
Attachments
MSC.jpg
MSC.jpg (80.22 KiB) Viewed 1682 times

Return to Getting Started