Video Assist as a sdi -> hdmi converter

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Daniel Retz

Video Assist as a sdi -> hdmi converter

PostWed Jun 28, 2017 6:23 pm

Is it possible to use the Video Assist 4k to convert signal from sdi to hdmi?

e.g. Mini Ursa Pro 4.6k connected via sdi to a Video assist 4k (operator monitor) and using the hdmi output from the VA to connect to a hdmi monitor (client monitor)

Denny Smith

Re: Video Assist as a sdi -> hdmi converter

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 4:58 am

Y :roll: es that would work, but the HDMI out will mirror the VA record settings, as the output is from the video processor post recording.
DS
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Quentin Smith

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 3:33 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by that. The Video Assist's outputs are clean feeds. None of the monitor effects are present on the output. And there are no record settings that affect resolution or frame rate.

Daniel Retz

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 3:50 pm

Quentin, I agree with you, that´s why I´m not shure if I can input the signal via SDI and output the same signal via hdmi.

Anyway, as it for client monitoring, that´s not a problem if I the resolution or frame are affected.

Thanks guys

Daniel Retz

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 7:34 pm

I've just tried using a Mini Ursa Pro, the Video Assist 4k and a Dell monitor and got this warning no matter what resolution or frame rate i used.
Actually in some resolutions I didn't get any image at all.

I need to test another monitor.

Denny Smith

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 12:39 am

What I meant was, if the VA receives a UHD resolution signal, it will record that resolution and output a UHD signal via the HDMI, with a slight lag, due to the VA internal processing of the signal.

The SDI inputs and HDMI outputs are not directly cross-converted/connected like a SDI to HDMI adapter would be. Rather the VA takes the SDI input, sets it recording to match that input signal (UHD or HD 1080p30 for example) processes the signal to the recorder, then outputs the signal to SDI and HDMI ports, no up/down conversion, the signal resolution via the SDI or HDMI input is the same signal resolution that will be output the SDI and HDMI ports.

The Ursa Mini and Pro, have a downscaleable output that you can use to feed a HD signal to the VA tomsend on to the client/director monitor via HDMI. That said, if the HDMI monitor is more than 10-15 feet away, youmare again going to have issues with HDMI long cable runs. A better solution is to feed the client/director monitor a SDI feed and use a SDI to HDMI converter at the monitor.

So,if you are trying
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Getting Started