Sony A7S ii + Ultrastudio Recorder Mini + Webcast

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Nic Copeland

Sony A7S ii + Ultrastudio Recorder Mini + Webcast

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 9:41 pm

HOW?!

Ok, ignore that but it does sum up my question.

I'm running a Mac Pro with a Ultrastudio Recorder Mini connected to a Sony A7S ii via micro HDMI and Thunderbolt. However, although Wirecast and my computer are picking up the capture device, I can't get any video output from the camera. I've trolled through the settings of the camea and updated the firmware but that hasn't worked.

Has anyone had issues with the Sony A7Sii and a BlackMagic Ultrastudio Recorder Mini, also even Wirecast?

Jack Fairley

Re: Sony A7S ii + Ultrastudio Recorder Mini + Webcast

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 10:20 pm

A7Sii will only work in 1080p24 or 1080i with that capture device. Open Media Express, set format to one of those and match on the camera, and it should work.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Nic Copeland

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 5:30 am

Hi Jack,

Thanks so much for the advice! I'll give it ago this morning.

judjohnson

PostTue Feb 06, 2018 9:16 pm

Hi, did you guys figure out the solution? I have the exact same issue and need to live stream for a client in 48hrs. I'm using sony a7sii and can't seem to get a signal into wirecast. Everything worked fine a few months ago with Canon 5Diii, but hurricane harvey destroyed all our equipment and now we're using sony cameras. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

I have tried adjusting all settings in both the a7sii & wirecast to 1080p/24 & 1080i but am still getting no signal. Please help!

YvesC86

PostMon Jan 07, 2019 2:20 pm

judjohnson wrote:Hi, did you guys figure out the solution? I have the exact same issue and need to live stream for a client in 48hrs. I'm using sony a7sii and can't seem to get a signal into wirecast. Everything worked fine a few months ago with Canon 5Diii, but hurricane harvey destroyed all our equipment and now we're using sony cameras. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

I have tried adjusting all settings in both the a7sii & wirecast to 1080p/24 & 1080i but am still getting no signal. Please help!

Hi, I just bought the mini recorder to do a live stream with my A7sii and am regretting the purchase. Reminded myself to always go through the forums and not trust the specification sheet.

Conclusion: I tried everything that I could think of, changing the outgoing signal on the camera, changing the settings on the BM ultra studio mini recorder, I tried different broadcaster software, I tried installing a previous version of the BM software... Doesn't work!

EDIT: After going through a lot of HDMI cable I found out that some cables worked and other didn't (solely for the BM) so when connecting the A7Sii (PAL - HDMI output set to 1080i) DIRECTLY to the bmusrm it could receive the signal (depending on the software the setting was 1080i50 -> 1080i59.94)
--> running the 10.9.3 software

However, I'm using a Paralinx ACE HDMI transmitter and here the problem still exists (using the HDMI cables that worked before). I did check the output of the ACE on various external monitors and it says 1080i50. I can't figure out what the problem is here...

Stevenmichaelsam

PostSat Jan 19, 2019 2:42 am

Hi, I'm having a similar issue but I can't figure out the source of the problem. I'm setting up for a livestream with my Cannon 80D through the UltraStudio HD Mini and I've changed all the settings to be the same as the camera (even though some others seem to reduce my problem), but I'm only getting a quick flash of my cameras image every 8-10 seconds. I've tried what seems to be everything, and every quality setting, and the best I can seem to do is just get it to flash every 6-8 seconds with the image. Any idea as to what I can do to get an actual stable image on the screen?

Signal chain is Camera > HDMI mini - HDMI > HDMI to SDI converter > SDI in (on BM US) > Thunderbolt 3 into my 2018 MacBook Pro.

Return to Live Production