Capturing Video Tape - No Device Found

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Robert Linder

Capturing Video Tape - No Device Found

PostMon Jul 03, 2017 3:31 pm

HI...

Is there anyone who knows about how to capture video tape with Divinci Resolve 12.5.6.017 (Free Version)?
I have talked with the technical support team and they don't have answers unless you are paid customer.
Following the instructions on the Ingest Tape page in the manual that comes with the free version...
I am instructed to "To Switch to tape capture in the media page of the open program. Next it says to click on the Capture Button, located to the left of the interface toolbar at the top of the Media Page. There is nothing at the top left of the page that says "Capture". At the right top of the Media Page is a tab that says "Capture", not the left side of the page, but right side of the page.... If I click on this tab, it lights up RED in color. Below this, it says "No Device Found".
I am coming out of a VHS deck and Beta Cam SP deck also. I am coming out BNC to an RCA adaptor that goes into a box that captures Analog video and converts the signal to Digital. I am coming out firewire 800 out to the back of my computer. I have used this all year long with Adobe Premiere and Final Cut Pro and it works like a charm. Am I doing something incorrect? Does Davinci Resolve 12.5.6.017 take Firewire 800 in as a video source or does it take only take THUNDER cable in? Also maybe someone would know... Maybe Divinci Resolve 12.5 only work with Davinci Purchased Capture Devices that you must purchase from the company itself? If anyone has answers, Please help! ROBERT

Denny Smith

Re: Capturing Video Tape - No Device Found

PostFri Jul 07, 2017 5:49 am

You may need a Time Base Corector (TBC) to reclock the VHS tape to a constant time code before most BM products will recognize the signal. Not sure about the rest, or if the free version of Resolve will recognize/allow a direct tape deck capture. See recent posts,on video tape capture in the Live Producrion Forum

What video capture box are you using? The fact that you needed to adaotmrhe BMC back down to a RCA, indicates a consumer device, that might not be supported by Resolve.
Cheers.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Getting Started