Using the UltraStudio Mini Recorder with HDMI to SDI convert

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

JoseRodriguez

Using the UltraStudio Mini Recorder with HDMI to SDI convert

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 3:30 pm

Good day all,

I currently have a Canon video camera with HDMI output that is then connected to the Mini Recorder. This is then connected via Thunderbolt to an Apple Laptop in order to stream live my church services. Unfortunately, we are not in a financial position to purchase an upscale video camera with BNC connector to use an SDI cable.

Question is -- [i]Can using an HDMI to SDI mini converter help with the quality of video? [/i]

Here is my thought process to help with my question. Connect the camera HDMI output into the HDMI to SDI mini converter, then connect the HDMI to SDI mini converter to the UltraStudio Mini Recorder, finish it up by connecting the UltraStudio Mini Recorder to the laptop via Thunderbolt cable. I've borrowed a video camera with the BNC connector and the video quality was incredible. This was coming from an older model high end Sony video camera. This got me to thinking about crazy connection idea of mine.

Is there anything special (configuration wise) that I will need to do once the hardware is connected?

Thank you in advance.

Jose Rodriguez

Jack Fairley

Re: Using the UltraStudio Mini Recorder with HDMI to SDI con

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 7:59 pm

No, your camera generates the signal, and converting to a different connector will not improve it.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Return to Getting Started