Webpresenter vs UltraStudio Mini with Wirecast (etc)

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Brad Kemp

Webpresenter vs UltraStudio Mini with Wirecast (etc)

PostWed Jul 19, 2017 1:15 pm

Hi there,

I was just at B&H in NYC drilling the sales guys on identifying the hardware to meet my needs.

I stream to Centrix GoToWebinar (work-related training) and Google Hangouts On Air. My goal is to use a Panasonic HMC-50 to up my video quality. My first thought was the WebPresenter to take HDMI or SDI into the computer and simply use it as my webcam - knowledgeable about the 720p limit, which is fine.

However, the sales guy was pushing me more towards the UltraStudio Mini and using Wirecast or other software. His reasoning was 1) cost and 2) he felt the WebPresenter was buggy - possibly timing out after 30 minutes (these are 1-hour sessions).

Could anyone offer context or better advice here? Thanks!

Brad

Jack Fairley

Re: Webpresenter vs UltraStudio Mini with Wirecast (etc)

PostWed Jul 19, 2017 7:34 pm

To use an UltraStudio with that kind of conferencing software, you need another software in between that both supports the capture device, and also will give you a "virtual webcam" output of the scene. Both Wirecast and Xsplit will do that. I can't comment on how well the Web Presenter works, we don't have any.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Brad Kemp

PostThu Jul 20, 2017 5:40 pm

Has anyone else had a good experience with WebPresenter? Trying to reduce my camera to audience chain.

Russ Mabry

PostSun Jul 23, 2017 5:12 pm

Greetings,
Been testing out the Presenter for the last 3 weeks using Open Broadcasting Software.Trying it out on facebook live and Youtube live. Skype soon.So far, so good.Not sure if I need to pay $450 to go live. That's my two cents worth.

Return to Getting Started