Newbie Panasonic VaricamLT to Terax2D to Macbook pro

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

John Cole

Newbie Panasonic VaricamLT to Terax2D to Macbook pro

PostSun Jul 23, 2017 5:36 pm

I'm trying to slo some video (1080P 23.98 to 60p, AVC Intra 422) using my panasonic varicamlt as the source, into my new Taranex2D and ultra mini studio recorder into thunderbolt macbook pro.
So far, I have accomplished:
Input setup.
teranex see's Varicam.
Output set to 1080p59.94, But all video and audio buttons are illuminated (and It should just be SDI video, and I don't need audio, but they don't select on/off.

I can't get it recognized on the computer either - not by fcpx, davinci resolve lite, nor Media Express.

I'm clearly flailing here - don't see my particular needs in FAQ's.
Any body mind helping me out?
Thank you!
John

Jack Fairley

Re: Newbie Panasonic VaricamLT to Terax2D to Macbook pro

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 9:20 pm

Ultrastudio mini recorder will not capture 1080p59.94, since it doesn't support 3G-SDI. Only SD-SDI and HD-SDI will work.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Xtreemtec

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 10:59 am

Why use the Ultra studio mini anyway?? Your Teranex 2D has a Thunderbolt port and the Ability to capture 3G sdi.. ;)

BMD Website wrote:Perfect for regular conversions as well as capture and playback. Get SD/HD and 3 Gb/s SDI, HDMI and analog in and out, 8 channel AES/EBU, 4 channel balanced analog input and output as well as consumer HiFi audio input connections. Thunderbolt port for computer capture and playback, RS-422 deck control, reference input, and ethernet are included for remote configuration. Get amazing processing with high quality de-interlacing, up conversion, down conversion, SD and HD cross/standards conversion, automatic cadence detection, removal and correction even with edited content, noise reduction, adjustable scaling and aspect ratio conversion, all with full timecode and multi-channel audio conversion.

Check if you have the software of the Teranex installed on your machine and it shows up in hardware. From there check if you see it as a capture device in FCP.. Otherwise try to record by Media Express.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Colin Barrett

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 2:15 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Why use the Ultra studio mini anyway?? Your Teranex 2D has a Thunderbolt port and the Ability to capture 3G sdi.. ;)

Exactly. I have a Teranex 2D and that's exactly what I have done for 3 years or more. The UltraStudio Mini is superfluous in this workflow and is the likely cause of the problem. All connections should be handled directly by the Teranex in this particular instance.

Xtreemtec wrote:Check if you have the software of the Teranex installed on your machine and it shows up in hardware. From there check if you see it as a capture device in FCP.. Otherwise try to record by Media Express.

Indeed. That's first place to look. The Desktop Video must be installed anyhow because it sets up the device with the computer. I use Media Express for all captures in the first instance and then if files are to be imported into FCPX editing projects the Teranex will automatically provide me with the interface.
Blackmagic Teranex 2D, Ultrastudio Express, Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt), Two H.264 Pro Recorders (Mac OSX) & lots of old VTRs used for digital archiving of legacy video formats for major libraries, broadcasters, universities and public archives.

Return to Getting Started