What BlackMagicDesign product is right for me?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author
limulo

What BlackMagicDesign product is right for me?

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 6:07 pm

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and I'd like to introduce my self: I'm a software developer (C/C++ mainly). I do like video games and video installations.
The project I'm actually working on needs the images coming out from a videocamera being processed by the software I have written in real time.
I'm using an old mac book 13-inches (late 2008):
2.1 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
OS X 10.6.8

and the camera I'm using is a common surveillance camera (that works with IR light) that outputs an analog "composite" signal.

I'm looking for something that let me convert the analog signal into a digital one (via USB or Firewire 400). Which BlackMagicDesign product is the more suitable for me??

thank you very much
limulo

bendermac

Re: What BlackMagicDesign product is right for me?

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 7:28 pm

there are only two devices you could use...

the h264 pro recorder and video recorder

Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

Re: What BlackMagicDesign product is right for me?

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 9:38 pm

Hi limulo,

If you are looking to build custom software around one of our USB 2.0 devices, you're going to be looking at the H.264 Pro Recorder and the DeckLink SDK (found on our Support site). I would recommend looking through the Pro Recorder's tech specs here: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/product ... techspecs/ and making sure that your camera's output resolution matches one of the supported resolutions for the device.

Also of note, the H.264 Pro Recorder will write an H.264 compressed .mp4 file, so this may or may not fit into the desired workflow you are trying to set up.

Unfortunately we don't have any firewire devices, and USB 2.0 is limited.
Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

Return to Getting Started