Noob questions RE: Teranex 3D Converter

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Chris Fletcher

Noob questions RE: Teranex 3D Converter

PostTue Aug 01, 2017 7:42 pm

Hi, please excuse the noob questions here, but I'm very interested in buying some sort of conversion device for watching 2D blu rays in 3D format and I heard that the Teranex 3D converter is the best hardware around for this particular task. However I'm no A/V engineer and the front of the box a little daunting for someone like me. So my questions are:

1. If my only interest is in converting a 2D signal to 3D, is the hardware setup as simple as connecting one HDMI cable to a blu ray player and another to the TV to view the output?

2. If not, what is the simplest way to set this up, and is there much else required other than what you get in the Teranex box?

3. How does the 2D to 3D conversion compare with other methods (for example I use the converter feature in PowerDVD software, which is ok but I feel that a hardware solution would be better)?

4. Is the Teranex overkill for what I'm trying to achieve? If so, does anyone have any other suggestions for me to look into?

Thank you very much for your time. Any help would be much appreciated.

Colin Barrett

Re: Noob questions RE: Teranex 3D Converter

PostWed Aug 02, 2017 8:49 am

I'm not sure that the Teranex 3D can actually "convert 2D to 3D" in the manner you suggest. It does, however, process 3D inputs in a variety of ways (including down-converting to 2D). The question that needs to be asked is whether the Blu-ray discs you're hoping to convert are commercial discs. If they are, they'll be HDCP copy-protected and the Teranex won't accept the input.
Blackmagic Teranex 2D, Ultrastudio Express, Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt), Two H.264 Pro Recorders (Mac OSX) & lots of old VTRs used for digital archiving of legacy video formats for major libraries, broadcasters, universities and public archives.

Chris Fletcher

PostWed Aug 02, 2017 10:09 am

Colin Barrett wrote:I'm not sure that the Teranex 3D can actually "convert 2D to 3D" in the manner you suggest. It does, however, process 3D inputs in a variety of ways (including down-converting to 2D). The question that needs to be asked is whether the Blu-ray discs you're hoping to convert are commercial discs. If they are, they'll be HDCP copy-protected and the Teranex won't accept the input.

Surely it can output a real time 3D conversion of a 2D source, much like a 2D > 3D function any many 3D TVs? Why is it called a 3D converter if it can't do this? :?

Maybe I didn't explain it very well in my question, I'm not interested in copying the source disc to a 3D converted disc or anything like that. I just want to play a 2D disc and watch the 3D output in real time through the Teranex. Surely that wouldn't be related to copy protection?

Xtreemtec

PostWed Aug 02, 2017 11:26 am

What is the gained value of making flat 2D image into 3D?? It does not add dimension in anyway...

I have seen some footage were they did this and the subtitles were lifted off the video.. And thus 3D.. It was rather anoing then it was 3D at all.. :roll: :roll:

So what are you tying to accomplish with converting from 2D to 3D?

And true.. HDCP will not go with any broadcast gear like the teranex..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Chris Fletcher

PostThu Aug 03, 2017 8:21 am

Xtreemtec wrote:What is the gained value of making flat 2D image into 3D?? It does not add dimension in anyway...

I have seen some footage were they did this and the subtitles were lifted off the video.. And thus 3D.. It was rather anoing then it was 3D at all.. :roll: :roll:

So what are you tying to accomplish with converting from 2D to 3D?

And true.. HDCP will not go with any broadcast gear like the teranex..

Please see my reply above. It took a while to appear because I'm new so my posts have to be moderated.

Xtreemtec

PostThu Aug 03, 2017 5:07 pm

Almost every bluray disc has HDCP copy protecting.. Something that is not handled by pro gear like this..

This is more for the stage were you are shooting in 3D. Merging 2 Camera feeds together to create a 3D image for on set.

Not intended for playing out an already mastered disc..

You would be much more helped with a device that is designed for this which support proper HDMI HDCP..

Like these:
http://www.konigelectronic.com/nl_nl/55942534 About $100
https://www.dhgate.com/product/new-2d-3 ... 22068.html $60
https://www.aliexpress.com/item-img/2D- ... 32065.html $80
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Getting Started