S video input issue

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Paddy Farr

S video input issue

PostTue Aug 01, 2017 7:48 pm

Hi there,
I am trying to capture some video from a Sony Digital 8 camcorder, but the video I am capturing is Hi 8, which plays perfectly well on the camcorder.
First attempt was with an S video to 2 x RCA, where I got black and white video only, but not bad quality, plugged in to the 8 Y in.
I then purchased an S video to 3 x RCA (Video, and 2 x audio). This didn't work at all, just the occasional bit of video interference and no audio.
Any suggestions as to what to try next?

Cheers,

Paddy

Denny Smith

Re: S video input issue

PostWed Aug 02, 2017 2:32 am

On the 2-RCA cable, switch the two rca connections the other way round, then you should get a color image. S-Video does not carry audio, so a audio break out cable is not going to work.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Colin Barrett

Re: S video input issue

PostWed Aug 02, 2017 9:06 am

Denny is right. The S-Video connection handles video only (YC Component analogue to be precise). I assume your Digital-8 camcorder will have two different forms of video output - one is a FireWire IEEE1394 digital output (which carries the digital video, digital audio and timecode) and also Composite/Component video and audio. I think from memory that the analogue output is a single 3.5mm jack breakout which will then break to video and audio. Ideally, you need a cable that breaks out to an S-Video plug and two audio RCA Phono plugs (white and black for left and right audio respectively). Some of these breakout cables also offer a Yellow (composite video) plug as well. Ideally, what you need to use is the S-Video (for Component Video) and twin RCA Phono plugs(for stereo audio) connectors. It's possible that the camcorder might offer a separate S-Video output socket, in which case it's even easier.

Note: S-Video is better than composite (Yellow) video because it keeps the Red, Green and Blue components of the picture separate until they're combined by the device into which they are connected.

(In case you're wondering, I used to own and run the UK's most popular website devoted to choosing and using camcorders - SimplyDV.co.uk) and reviewed almost every consumer/prosumer camcorder released from the late 90s to about 8 years ago.)
Blackmagic Teranex 2D, Ultrastudio Express, Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt), Two H.264 Pro Recorders (Mac OSX) & lots of old VTRs used for digital archiving of legacy video formats for major libraries, broadcasters, universities and public archives.

Return to Getting Started