BMPCC all done?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Mike Kroes

BMPCC all done?

PostWed Aug 02, 2017 5:17 am

I finally bought a BMPCC from someone on EBay. I like the camera and what it can do but it turns out the HDMI port does not work. Sent it to the Blackmagic fixit shop because they said they thought they could fix it. As soon as they got it they said it couldn't be fixed and they offered to dispose of it for me. What the hell is that all about? It still works except for the HDMI port. More research and it turns out that the camera was poorly designed and that it is very common for the HDMI port to not work. So I have been watching the Blackmagic web site for any indication that they are making improvements to BMPCC, wondering whether it is worth trying to sell this thing (with the disclaimer that the HDMI port is no good--would it get a decent price, do you suppose) and get a new one. But with no new work being done on the BMPCC, I'm afraid that a new one would have the same poorly designed HDMI port and I'd be no further ahead and out a bunch more money. The camera sure looks sexy on the BMPCC web site, but the reality seems a far cry from that.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Denny Smith

Re: BMPCC all done?

PostThu Aug 03, 2017 4:30 pm

Yes, the HDMI port is a design weakness, but, with care, and using a small cage likemthe Wooden Camera Pocket cage with the HDMI port cable clamp, mine never gave me any issues in two plus years of use.

Buying a used Pocket can be problematic, as you discovered. The camera is what it is, no design changes were made to it, as BM is not making any more HD cameras. That said, the Micro Cinema camera is the same sensor (and kind of is the Pocket upgrade) wi an improved video processor, larger battery, and a much improved full size HDMI A connector in place of the micro connector used on the Pocket camera.
You will need an external monitor for the Micro camera, and the new Small HD Focus monitor is perfect.

You should be able to get between $400-600 for your Pocket camera with its broken HDMI port.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Ben Johnston

Re: BMPCC all done?

PostThu Aug 03, 2017 10:15 pm

Was it listed as fully working? Have you challenged the eBay seller?

Return to Getting Started