Can I play Xbox through Intensity Shuttle to STD DEF TV?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Danny Nowak

Can I play Xbox through Intensity Shuttle to STD DEF TV?

PostFri Aug 04, 2017 9:12 am

Hi.
I just purchased the Intensity Shuffle, and before I get to some professional capture use, I want to hook it up to my kids' gaming setup. However, I can't get a picture. Can anyone tell me the setup procedure?
They have an Xbox 360 on one end, HDMI to the Shuttle, then component to my standard definition TV (Panasonic TH-42PWD8UK).
When I try to set the specs in the 'Desktop Video Setup', which output would I use? 525p59.94 NTSC ?

Also, must I hook up a laptop just to power the Shuttle through USB3?

Thanks Much!

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

Re: Can I play Xbox through Intensity Shuttle to STD DEF TV?

PostFri Aug 04, 2017 6:42 pm

Chances are the output from the Xbox aren't set to the formats supported by the Intensity Shuttle. Check the tech specs on our product page for these formats and then change those to one of them.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Danny Nowak

PostSat Aug 05, 2017 2:23 am

Lemme get this straight-
The Xbox360 is an HDMI output, which I plugged into the Shuttle HDMI input;
From the Shuttle I plugged a 3-cable composite into the composite of my STD Def Panasonic PLASMA TV.
And I plugged the USB3 cable into my MacBook (do I need any application open or is it just for power?).

I don't get your reply- You seem to be saying to change the Xbox output specs? Where do I find those? Or do I change the input specs on the Shuttle through 'Desktop Video Setup'?

The Xbox plays fine on our family HDTV, but now I want to move the setup into the basement to play the games on our STD Def plasma. It doesn't have HDMI input, so I thought the Shuttle would be easy to link the Xbox with the TV.

Sorry if I'm missing an obvious remedy.
Thanks.

Danny Nowak

PostSat Aug 05, 2017 8:41 pm

Hi again,

Not sure what you mean by 'Check the tech specs on our product page for these formats and then change those to one of them.' Do you mean to change the output specs on the Xbox? How do I do that? Wouldn't I just set the output of the Shuttle to NTSC (which I did)?

Here's my setup:
Xbox360 is connected to Shuttle with HDMI cable; then Shuttle connected by single RCA (yellow) cable to my STD def plasma.
I turn everything on and when I connect the Shuttle to my Macbook with the USB3 cable, I get the Blackmagic logo which comes up on my TV. Yay. But there is no game image - only some random green lines flashing on the TV.

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Aug 07, 2017 11:13 pm

The Shuttle is a capture device that offers passive output while capturing a signal and will also support playback. My comment to you was in regards to the output of the Xbox and the format not matching what the Shuttle supports. There can be settings on the Xbox to change them however, you'll need to match them up with the same as the Shuttle. Also, the Shuttle needs to be connected to the computer as well as have an application open (Media Express for example) to have the ingest/output work.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Xtreemtec

PostTue Aug 08, 2017 9:38 am

Seems like the topic starter wants to use the shuttle as HDMI to Component converter. This is not the right device to do this.

As Tony said it is a Capture or playback device. But not very well suited as a in to output converter as there will be LAG..

If you don't want to capture you would be better off with a HDMI to Component converter.. But depending on size of the TV a new smart tv would be almost cheaper and gives you acces to streaming services like outube, netflix and stuff.. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Getting Started