UltraStudio Mini Recorder and MacBook Pro 2017

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

TalesPinheiro

UltraStudio Mini Recorder and MacBook Pro 2017

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 2:08 am

Recently I bought a Mini Recorder and a MacBook Pro 2017. First I bought the Apple USB-C to Thunderbolt adapter and tried with the 10.9.3 driver/software without any luck.

Looking through the internet I found some reports saying I should use a Startech Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter, and I just received mine, but after also upgrading to Blackmagic Desktop Video 10.9.5 my Mac still cannot detect the Mini Recorder. I tried with an older Mac and worked ok.

Is it really not possible to connect a MacBook Pro 15" 2017 with the Mini Recorder?

Jason Cochard

Re: UltraStudio Mini Recorder and MacBook Pro 2017

PostMon Aug 14, 2017 8:56 pm

I am having the same issue with the Ultrastudio Mini Monitor.

I'm using a 2017 MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt 3 / USB-C ports. I'm running Desktop Video 10.9.5, and using the Apple Thunderbolt3 - Thunderbolt 2 adaptor.

macOS sees the device and names it correctly inside the System Profiler Thunderbolt tab, but when I launch BMD Desktop Video from the system preferences, it gives an error that it doesn't recognize any hardware.

How can we solve this?

Martin Lee

Re: UltraStudio Mini Recorder and MacBook Pro 2017

PostWed Oct 04, 2017 4:52 am

Same problem here. I am thinking if it is due to the MacOS? I am running 10.13. I tried a few driver: the latest (10.9.7) and 10.9, but both will not work for me.

update: I tried the USMR on Windows through Bootcamp and it worked perfectly. This could rule out hardware issues at least.

Return to Getting Started