UltraStudio Mini Recorder and MacBook Pro 2017

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

TalesPinheiro

UltraStudio Mini Recorder and MacBook Pro 2017

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 2:08 am

Recently I bought a Mini Recorder and a MacBook Pro 2017. First I bought the Apple USB-C to Thunderbolt adapter and tried with the 10.9.3 driver/software without any luck.

Looking through the internet I found some reports saying I should use a Startech Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter, and I just received mine, but after also upgrading to Blackmagic Desktop Video 10.9.5 my Mac still cannot detect the Mini Recorder. I tried with an older Mac and worked ok.

Is it really not possible to connect a MacBook Pro 15" 2017 with the Mini Recorder?

Jason Cochard

Re: UltraStudio Mini Recorder and MacBook Pro 2017

PostMon Aug 14, 2017 8:56 pm

I am having the same issue with the Ultrastudio Mini Monitor.

I'm using a 2017 MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt 3 / USB-C ports. I'm running Desktop Video 10.9.5, and using the Apple Thunderbolt3 - Thunderbolt 2 adaptor.

macOS sees the device and names it correctly inside the System Profiler Thunderbolt tab, but when I launch BMD Desktop Video from the system preferences, it gives an error that it doesn't recognize any hardware.

How can we solve this?

Martin Lee

PostWed Oct 04, 2017 4:52 am

Same problem here. I am thinking if it is due to the MacOS? I am running 10.13. I tried a few driver: the latest (10.9.7) and 10.9, but both will not work for me.

update: I tried the USMR on Windows through Bootcamp and it worked perfectly. This could rule out hardware issues at least.

JesseOsmer

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 1:53 pm

I am having the same issue. I have also submitted a support request but have not heard back yet. I was hoping to have things working by tomorrow for a livestream I am working on. Seems like an OSX issue as the Tunderbolt port registers the device. I am on OSX 10.13.

JesseOsmer

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 2:40 pm

Ok, Black Magic support was the magic key. Always great to talk to a live human for tech support and it only took 2 min hold. Amazing.

So, the issue is High Sierra's (OSX 10.13) security. Here are the steps to fix:

1) Uninstall Desktop Video app using the uninstaller in the Blackmagic Folder.
2) Reinstall (use latest version 10.9.7) and restart computer
3) After restarting go into System Preferences and the Security and allow the Black Magic Mini Recorder.

If that does not work, try installing Desktop Video app 10.9.7 again without uninstalling and follow steps 2-3 again.

Then presto, Camera is recognised by the app.

Cheers,
Jesse

robmtaylor

PostMon Apr 30, 2018 7:11 pm

I have this setup (Mini Recorder and MBP 2017 - no touch bar) and I get my camera to display video through Media Express, however, Wirecast does nothing but display a Black Screen. I assume I have a setting wrong, but I cannot figure this out. I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times, as I have read in this forum, to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Rob

EdCazini

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 11:06 am

Hi, I have a successful setup using 2 BMD Mini Recorders and 1 Monitor.

Here's my rig:
- MBP 13-inch Retina 2018, 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports, Intel Core i7, 16GB memory
- MBP is powered via an OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock thru one of the T3 ports
- 2 BMD Mini Recorders are connected directly to 2 of the T3 ports via Apple T3 to T2 adapters + Thunderbolt cable
- 1 BMD Mini Monitor with same T3-to-T2-adapter + Thunderbolt cable
- Wirecast 10.1.0

But when I tried to connect the BMD Mini Monitor directly to a 3rd T3 port of the MBP, it complained of "not enough power" so I connected instead to the extra T3 port of the OWC and the whole rig is running happily now.

Of course before I connected everything I installed first the BMD Desktop Video software, and allowed it when High Sierras security dialog popped up. So now I have one unused T3 port I don't know if this will support a less power-hungry T3 device. Also I conclude that the Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter is "bi-directional" since both BMD Mini Recorders and Monitors are running fine.

Cheers!
Edz

Yetij025

PostMon Jul 27, 2020 9:40 am

Hi, I would like to update this topic.

I'm planning a simple streaming setup with Sony A7 + 28-70mm and UltraStudio Mini Recorder. I was thinking of plugging it into APPLE MacBook Pro 13 i5 8GB SSD RETINA 2xUSB-C.

I would appreciate any comments or help if this Mac will do, or if I should switch to Windows due to the issue discussed in this topic.

cmalberto

PostFri Aug 07, 2020 7:30 pm

I have read of some successes above but I didn't see which kind of cable was used. Thinking that will be the key to getting the MBP and USMR to work. Now that we are 3 years later, we also have Catalina being the mainstream OS as well. Hoping that won't be a bottleneck either?

Can anyone confirm cable, OS version etc???

Return to Getting Started