Blackmagic Video Assist is green and too bright

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Frank Feijen

Blackmagic Video Assist is green and too bright

PostMon Aug 14, 2017 9:35 am

I've used the video assist for screen capturing a laptop.
I connect via HDMI or displayport-to-hdmi cable. However the image that shows on the video assist is a lot greener than the original.
Bright details also get lost.

Is there anything I can do to overcome this? Since I often have to record the screen of a clients computer, I can't calibrate there screen...

Frank Feijen

Re: Blackmagic Video Assist is green and too bright

PostTue Aug 15, 2017 9:50 am

I've added some images to clarify,
this is straight out of the computer:
computer.png
computer.png (63.27 KiB) Viewed 4270 times

this is what is being seen bij Video Assist:
VideoAssist.png
VideoAssist.png (304.9 KiB) Viewed 4270 times

Denny Smith

PostTue Aug 15, 2017 5:30 pm

Welcome to the green world of the VA. Yes it is, and yes, yes it does. This is the VA display, it has a slight greenish cast, and highlights are blown out, even though they record just fine in the VA and/or camera. This was kicked around quite a bit when the VA first came out, since the UM 4.6 does not display theses issues, and the display screens are supposed to be the same, the VA video processor must be the source of these two issues. I ended up turning the Saturstion down, to get a B&W display, then used color bars to set white and Purge bar using the Contrast/Brightness setting, and used it as a B&W monitor, much better for judging exposure and focus anyway.

You can not color calibrate this minitor, as it lacks a "Hue/Color" control, which was repeatedly requested when the VA and VA4K were launched. So far has not happened, doubt it ever will. So what you see, is what you get. :roll:

That said, the VA does the job it was designed to do, pull focus, frame and get an approximate idea of what rhenfinished shot will look like. The VA is not a color calibrated Production monitor, it is a camera monitor/recorder -- a job it does well :mrgreen:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Frank Feijen

PostTue Aug 15, 2017 5:34 pm

But it doesn't only shows green, it also records green! That's what baffles me. The second image is actually recorded!

Denny Smith

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 5:43 am

The screen shot above was the recorded VA imagevwithnthe Green showng up? If so, I would be contacting BM Support.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Howard Roll

PostThu Aug 17, 2017 7:28 am

The video assist can only record what the computer is spitting out, it doesn't do color space transforms or gamma conversions. Your blacks are obviously lifted as well. On a Mac you have the display assistant to calibrate the HDMI output. On a PC you have to dig a little deeper, most cards have a control panel hiding somewhere you just have to find it.

timtyler

PostSat Dec 17, 2022 7:42 pm

Having the same problem with URSA 12K output on both the 5" and 7" Video Assists.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=172752
Tim Tyler
Cinematographer @ https://timtyler.com
Founder-Admin @ Cinematography.com / SteadicamForum.com

Return to Getting Started