Shoulder Mount for Micro Studio Camera 4K

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Robert Brown

Shoulder Mount for Micro Studio Camera 4K

PostMon Aug 21, 2017 3:24 pm

I'm considering getting BMD cameras for my church's production system. I plan to get two or three BMD Studio Cameras, but I need to have at least one shoulder mounted camera.

Will the Shoulder mount kit and Ursa viewfinder you advertise for the Ursa cameras work for the Micro Studio Camera?

If not do you have one that will?

If not, do you have, or are you developing such a solution for studio use?

Is there a diagram or some other resource I can use to see how this would work or look?

To understand where I'm coming from, in the past for other systems I have designed, I could get 4 Sony cameras (for instance) and configure three for use with a studio viewfinder, pedestal, large lens and controls, etc., and configure the other with eng VF, smaller lens, etc for shoulder use.

Howard Roll

Re: Shoulder Mount for Micro Studio Camera 4K

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 12:40 am

The Ursa Mini 4k PL is really much more suited to what you want to do if handheld is a priority. Support for the Studio cameras is very limited and obviously a low priority in the grand scheme. Sure you can cluge something together but you'll end up spending just as much as getting the Ursa and have less functionality in the end.

Good Luck

Denny Smith

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 2:02 am

I agree with Howie on this one, I looked into trying to rig a Micro camera up with a shoulder mount, and to do it right would run $500-1K in rigging bits, plus the EVF.
A B4 lens adapter for the Micro is going to run you $1200 also, so now you are looking at $4-5K for a rigged Micro camera.

The BM EVF for the Ursa Mini would need modifications, like the Wooden Camera mod kit, to make it work with the Micro camera. A better bet would be a SmallHD 501 running off HDMI with the SideFinder, or a Cinroid EVF, which also has HDMI and SDI in/out. The BM EVF is SDI only, and not loop through, so it is not really going to give you a monitor and SDI out to a switcher using the Micro camera.

Everything with the Ursa Mini shoulder kit and BM EVF work together seamlessly to give you a much better balanced shoulder rig on the Ursa Mini 4K, which also adds a Globally Shutter to the mix, and should be easy to color balance to your other cameras.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Robert Brown

PostWed Aug 23, 2017 6:38 pm

Thanks for your responses, guys.
I started thinking I would go with 3 Ursa Mini Pros, (two on tripod and 1 on shoulder) but the total cost with lenses, Studio viewfinders, etc, blew my budget out of the water! And they may be too much camera for us right now.

I'm now looking at 2 BMD Studio cameras and 1 Micro studio or Micro cinema with a small monitor for a viewfinder on some sort of handheld rig.

Thank, again for your suggestions.

Return to Live Production