Not Capturing Video from GoPro Hero5 HDMI Out

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

David Berlind

Not Capturing Video from GoPro Hero5 HDMI Out

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 8:48 pm

Hey all,

I just bought the BlackMagic Intensity Thunderbolt based on recommendations that I saw everywhere if I wanted to capture the video coming out of the HDMI-out of my GoPro. I've got the HDMI cable going from the mini-HDMI port on the GoPro to the HDMI in on the Intensity and then a Thunderbolt cable between the Intensity and my MacBook Air.

If I launch Media Express, I don't see anything. Just black. But I know the GoPro is picking up video because I'm running the remote app on my smartphone and it shows me the video the GoPro is seeing in real time.

Black Magic Video Desktop Setup acknowledges that it sees an Intensity Thunderbolt and I'm assuming based on what I'm seeing that it's detecting a connection on HDMI-in. but I'm not sure. Media Express shows "Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt" under the Device menu.

What am I doing wrong?

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

Re: Not Capturing Video from GoPro Hero5 HDMI Out

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 9:04 pm

I'm guessing the output of the GoPro is above the formats supported by the Intensity Shuttle. You'll want to check the tech spec page to confirm the supported formats of the Shuttle with those of the GoPro's output.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Xtreemtec

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 9:13 pm

The Gopro will output 1080P50 or 60.. Not something the Intensity shuttle can handle.. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

David Berlind

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 9:24 pm

Thank you so much for responding. The GoPro has dozens of settings. What's the max that the Intensity can handle going in?

I have uploaded screenshots of the video settings from the user manual to this google photos album. I'd appreciate it if you took a look.

Thank you!

https://goo.gl/photos/vQdoS5ndvzs9tYuP9

David

Xtreemtec

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 9:42 pm

These are recording settings.!! They don't have ANY link to output resolution ;)

Output resolution on Action cams, handycams and other "cheap" cameras are most of the time not set-able.. Like the high end cameras have menu setting for output resolutions.. ;)
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

David Berlind

PostSun Aug 27, 2017 3:06 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I've been poking all over the net for something... I was finally able to locate some information... if I set the camera to 1080/30 or /60 and Black Magic Express to 1080p29.97 or if I set them to 720/60 and 720p59.94 (respectively), I get signal.

But now, my problem is flicker. I'm not getting anything close to remotely smooth video. I'm wondering if it could be the HDMI cable. I've read a few posts on the GoPro support forums that suggest that you really need to use GoPro's HDMI cable instead of some generic one.

Any continued thoughts would be appreciated.

Xtreemtec

PostTue Aug 29, 2017 11:35 am

mini / Micro hdmi are fragile and noisy.. Keep the lead as short a possible.. I normally have a 30 to 50cm lead running to an sdi converter and go from there..

Return to Getting Started