Time Base Corrector

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

William French

Time Base Corrector

PostMon Aug 28, 2017 4:19 am

After fours years asking the staff at Blackmagic which device would work best to digitize the vintage (legacy) video tape material in the TV archive I manage and co-own, I purchased an Intensity Shuttle for Thunderbolt.

I was told I'd be able to connect my video decks directly to the device. Just discovered this is not true. I need a Time Base Corrector. But which one do I need? I've been archiving video for nearly a decade and haven't needed one before. My last digitization device worked well without one.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. I looked TBC's up on eBay and am shocked at the prices. I could have purchased another of my former device (which was stolen) for less than half of what this is going to cost me. And my archive is in the process of becoming a non-profit.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. I am just in a bit of a shock right now.

Jack Fairley

Re: Time Base Corrector

PostMon Aug 28, 2017 6:14 pm

If you search on the Post Production subforum, there are a lot of discussions about digitizing legacy media. Read the posts from Colin Barrett in particular.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Denny Smith

Re: Time Base Corrector

PostTue Aug 29, 2017 4:45 am

You need a broadcast type TBC, Collin and I both use Snell and Willcox units, minebis a Kudos, which also does some chroma correction and converts the output to SDI, in addition to SVideo and component.
The previous posts on this are actually in the Live Production Forum.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Getting Started