Blustream 4x4 Matrix & ATEM TVS HD problem

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Corbin Miles

Blustream 4x4 Matrix & ATEM TVS HD problem

PostWed Aug 30, 2017 12:26 am

We are installing a video system to start streaming our church worship service. We are currently running video through a 4x2 switcher, but have purchased a Blustream MX44AB, so we can project to our TVs as we have without the ATEM TVS HD when we aren't streaming, and feed our computers to the ATEM when we ARE streaming and send the ATEM PGM out to project to our TVs. Though I have a very odd problem detailed below. Can anyone help.

Here’s our configuration into our MX44.

Input 1 - iMac Secondary Output(MiniDisplay Port to HDMI Out)
Input 2 - HDMI Stage line
Input 3 - Blu Ray (HDMI Out)
Input 4 - none

Output 1 - House televisions
Output 2 - Blackmagic ATEM Switcher
Output 3 - Secondary Video Monitor
Output 4 - none

The current problems arise: The iMac output momentarily shows video then flashes noise on and off on the input to the ATEM Switcher when passing through the MX44, however, the iMac Output works without a problem when connected directly to the ATEM Switcher. That said, connecting a camcorder into the MX44 outputting to the ATEM Switcher works perfectly. The iMac output passes to the House televisions and the Secondary Video Monitors with no problems under any circumstances. Obviously, the refresh/frame rate needs to all be set the same and we are currently using 1080i. I can set the iMac to output the proper resolution 1080i@50Hz on the computer, so I know it is functioning properly. I have changed the settings internally in the ATEM Switcher to 1080i50 and set the MX44 to passthrough, but I can’t get the iMac output to display properly at the ATEM Switcher through the MX44.

Any assistance you can provide would be smashing!

Here’s a drawing of my configuration as crude as it may be.

ECF Video Config1.jpg
ECF Video Config1.jpg (1016.86 KiB) Viewed 2257 times

Xtreemtec

Re: Blustream 4x4 Matrix & ATEM TVS HD problem

PostWed Aug 30, 2017 10:13 am

A HDMI matrix like this introduce a lot of EDID issues.. The matrix probabbly sets your imac to 60Hz while the video mixer wants 59.94..

I just re-read your message, you are 50Hz.. Still the EDID will trow you off and generate problems.. That is why HDMI is not the best way to switch because of all there HDCP and EDID shizzle..

Best practise is to keep the Imac directly to atem.. And you could use the AUX output and convert it to hdmi and use that to output the Imac again to the matrix.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Corbin Miles

PostThu Aug 31, 2017 10:31 am

Thanks for your reply. Your idea of running the iMac to the switcher is a good idea. It would work for most things, but I still need to get my other inputs (from the stage) to the ATEM and each of those back to the matrix as well, plus program! I figured it was an HDCP issue, but I have the MX44 in passthrough mode so it should just be sending through what it is receiving. Obviously, it's adding something to the signal that is causing the ATEM to not accept it. I wish there was just a way to resolve HDCP information and strip it off of and HDMI signal. I have an HDMI Doctor that allows you to force EDID, but it doesn't remove it. :cry:

Regarding the 60/50Hz issue, I wondered if there was a sync issue between the MX44 and the ATEM, but the camcorder through the MX44 work fine when the MX44 is set to passthrough mode.

Any other thoughts would be helpful.

Cheers!

Corbin Miles

PostSun Sep 03, 2017 6:40 pm

PROBLEM SOLVED/REMEDIED!

Contacted Blustream about my problem and sent them the drawing of our set up. After troubleshooting a few things, they saw we weren't up to anything nefarious and set me the code for the MX44AB to turn off the HDCP on output which resolved our problem! Now anything I route to the ATEM shows up without a hitch! Very impressed with this company. Great tech support to help me work this out.

One thing to take note of: Apple computers (not sure as of which revision) output HDCP all the time unless they see a non-compliant device, and then they automatically turn it off. The problem with the matrix is that it is HDCP compliant and therefore the MacMini output the HDCP information, but when output to the ATEM from the matrix it couldn't resolve the HDCP, thus the flickering screen and noise. PCs output no HDCP information unless you try to view restricted content. Granted, our remedy solves all coming inputs which is even better! :D :D :D

Return to Getting Started