Codec to produce .mp4?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Mark Cafiero

Codec to produce .mp4?

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 9:55 pm

Hi,

Rookie question here, wondering how I can use the Blackmagic Video Assist recorder to save files as a .mp4.

Is that a particular codec setting?

Is there a resource that explains the various codec settings in general?

Thanks,
Mark

Denny Smith

Re: Codec to produce .mp4?

PostSat Sep 09, 2017 4:26 pm

No, not on the VA. The Video Assist only records ProRes and DNxHD codecs. MP4 is used by most NLE's when files are rendered out. Also video capture cards can save MP4 files on a computer. Some cameras still record to MP4 type formats also.

MP4 is not a codec but rather is video file container. See below:
MPEG-4 Part 14 or MP4 is a digital multimedia container format most commonly used to store video and audio, but it can also be used to store other data such as subtitles and still images.[2] Like most modern container formats, it allows streaming over the Internet. The only official filename extension for MPEG-4 Part 14 files is .mp4. MPEG-4 Part 14 (formally ISO/IEC 14496-14:2003) is a standard specified as a part of MPEG-4.

Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

valtersboze

PostFri Mar 23, 2018 7:20 pm

Do you know any portable external video sdcard hdmi recorder that supports h264 mp4? Need to be able to upload to instagram and facebook as fast as possible with no editing. Looking at vitec hs60 but its more expensive and doesnt even have a screen

Andrew Martin

PostSun Apr 01, 2018 10:32 am

Bought a couple of datavideo hdr-1 recorders a while back, doesn't record to SD card but to usb thumdrives, but might be usable in ur scenario. Hdmi input also, no SDI.. As you we have a need to supply a MP4 solution with a couple of scenarios but researching, most of the other h264 recorders I've seen are 'toys' designed to record game console. so trying to find a decent h264 recorder hasn't been easy.. the hdr-1 is as close as I've come to something designed for a 'commercial' non-gaming recorder.
It would be nice if the VA did as you wished with a BMD update or even better if our atomos recorders recorded to h264.. but somehow I don't think they ever will..

Return to Getting Started