Micro Converter HDMI to SDI

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Shaun Kelly

Micro Converter HDMI to SDI

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 2:08 am

Hi all,

I just purchased a Micro Converter HDMI to SDI today, in order to convert HDMI signals from cameras into SDI to plug into a Roland V4-EX video mixer which is located about a 30m cable run away from a filming position.

I've done some tests with the Micro Converter this morning, but can't seem to get it working. Connecting my Sony HXR-MC2500 camera by both SDI and HDMI to the mixer works fine, but when I connected by HDMI through the converter to an SDI input on the mixer, there was no signal.

Same when I used my Sony handheld camera which only has HDMI out - a direct HDMI connection to the mixer worked with no worries, but nothing when I tried to connect via the Micro Converter.

Given that this is the first time I've used the Micro Converter, are there any settings etc that I need to adjust to get this to work through my mixer?

Many thanks,

Shaun Kelly

Jerry Peal

Re: Micro Converter HDMI to SDI

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 9:46 pm

I have a similar problem. My Micro Converter HDMI to SDI doesn't work. My set up:

I transmit a simple analog video picture from a domestic camera, over fibre to an analog video monitor. The camera usually in a theatre/concert hall venue sent back to OB-recording van parked up outside. No audio is required with this link - we are a sound recording business and use Dante Network Audio running on switches over a separate fibre.

I have been using Blackmagic Mini converters "Analog to SDI" on stage and "SDI to analog" for the video monitor in the van. The fibre part of the journey is handled by Yellowbrick "SDI to fibre" - "fibre to SDI" converters. They have all been working happily together for years.

I Decided to try using my Sony Action Cam HDRAS100V which has an HDMI output. I purchased a micro converter but it will not talk to my "SDI - Analog" converter, even when connected directly SDI to SDI (no fibre involved). Also tried a domestic DVD player with HDMI output. Both machines are working when connected directly to an HDMI monitor.

I have updated software on all units and tried "A" and "B" modes on the micro converter.

When I found it didn't work, the dealer sent over a replacement unit. Neither of them work. I occasionally get an image off the camera but only for a few seconds, then it goes.

Any ideas?

Xtreemtec

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 7:40 am

Well.. First things first.
Your mixer Edirol V4 Ex
•3 Input (SD HDMI/Composite) + 1 Input (Up to 1080p HDMI/RGB/Component/Composite)

Composite video.. So no SDI connection..

Your Camera HXR-MC2500
Composite Output BNC (x1), PAL or NTSC depending on product model

Both quotes were taken from the Manufacturer website..
So you have HDMI and you have Composite Video to choose from.

Composite video you can trow 50 meters of BNC cable between it and it will still work.. And looking at the Edirol which internally processes everything on SD (480P/576P) you won't be better off by using HDMI or SDI because everything get downscaled to SD resolution.. ;)

Going down the SDI route and say you put the Micro to the camera.. Buy another SDI to HDMI for going HDMI to your mixer.. You probabbly will end up in more trouble.. As when you connected the HDMI directly to the mixer the mixer told the camera he wanted SD-HDMI resolution.. And so the camera did.
The micro converter will tell the camera to output the highest resolution it has.. And so the camera will do.. As there is no EDID data in SDI signals and no 2 way communication.. The SDI 2 HDMI will receive a 1080P 50 / 60 signal and output that to the hdmi output. Which then is only compatible with 1 port on your edirol.. Which does downconvert to 480P :lol:

In other words.. In this setup you can not use the micro converter.. Just use a BNC lead of 30 meters to the Composite input of your mixer and you are good to go ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Shaun Kelly

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 9:16 pm

Thanks for your reply xtremetec.

My question, which probably didn't come out all that well, more related to being able to use other cameras with the mixer that may not necessarily have a SDI/Composite connection not so much mine which I know works - it's more for when other cameramen come to the stadium I operate the mixer in and we're looking for an SDI feed to send through the mixer to the big screen.

Seems that this may not happen with every camera, and that the micro converter may not work. Assuming by your post that Roland and Edirol are the same brand as well.

Many thanks again - I'll do some further investigation as to what needs to happen.

Regards,

Shaun

Shaun Kelly

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 10:35 pm

UPDATE: Tried connecting from the HDMI port in the camera to the HDMI to SDI converter, plugging the SDI cable into a SDI to HDMI converter then HDMI into Input 4 on the mixer and it worked with little worry.

Means that I can still use my long SDI cable to connect, even if it's through a few steps!!

Thanks for the heads-up xtremetec, your advice got the brain working and got this problem solved!

Xtreemtec

PostSat Sep 16, 2017 1:06 pm

For only input 4 it will work.. As that input is 1080P HD enabled.. But will it downconvert inside to 480P.

The other 3 HDMI input will not work.. So if you want more cameras like this connected you will or upgrade to a Edirol / Roland (Yes it's the same! ) V4HD (not the V4 Ex) Or just go for a TVS HD Pro which will give you 8 inputs with control panel for about the same price of a V4 HD..

Also gives you HD all the way.. So your output will be HD to. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Getting Started