HDMI to SDI converter problem

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Jerry Peal

HDMI to SDI converter problem

PostFri Sep 15, 2017 8:38 am

Hello
My Micro Converter HDMI to SDI doesn't work. My set up:

I transmit a simple analog video picture from a domestic camera, over fibre to an analog video monitor. The camera is usually in a theatre/concert hall venue. The picture is sent back to OB-recording van parked up outside. No audio is required with this link - we are a sound recording business and use Dante Network Audio running on switches over a separate fibre.

I have been using Blackmagic Mini converters "Analog to SDI" on stage and "SDI to analog" for the video monitor in the van. The fibre part of the journey is handled by Yellowbrick "SDI to fibre" - "fibre to SDI" converters. They have all been working happily together for years.

I Decided to try using my Sony Action Cam HDRAS100V which has an HDMI output. I purchased a micro converter "HDMI to SDI" but it will not talk to my "SDI - Analog" converter, even when connected directly SDI to SDI (no fibre involved). Also tried a domestic DVD player with HDMI output. Both machines are working when connected directly to an HDMI monitor.

I have updated software on all units and tried "A" and "B" modes on the micro converter.

When I found it didn't work, the dealer sent over a replacement unit. Neither of them work. I occasionally get an image off the camera but only for a few seconds, then it goes.

Any ideas?

Denny Smith

Re: HDMI to SDI converter problem

PostFri Sep 15, 2017 5:51 pm

Hook the action camera up to a monitor directly via HDMI and see what resolution/frame rate the camera is actually outputting. If the camera is outputting a 3:2 pulldown interlace signal like 1080i50/60 or if using 1080p50 a signal compatiblity issue, then it might be a Converter issue. Try updating the Converter firmware, as there is a new release out, see viewtopic.php?f=18&t=56949&start=50

It could also be a SDI A/B type signal issue in the converters.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Xtreemtec

Re: HDMI to SDI converter problem

PostSat Sep 16, 2017 1:00 pm

Very well could be a 3G sdi A vs B problem right.. Not sure if the Anlog version got the A B fw upgrade..

It is possible to change A / B in the micro converter software if you have the latest version installed and the converter connected to the pc.
Check if the SDI lock led on the SDI 2 Analog converter is on.

BUT!! You ran a SD camera going SD-SDI back to composite video..

Now you input HD HDMI to SDI.. So will probabbly go to 1080P50/60 down the sdi line.. Then SDI to analog converter..
But the SDI 2 Analog converter will output HD Component out when you input HD-SDI.
Unless you turn on the Processing / downconvert in the SDI 2 Analog.. See manual how to set the dipswitch. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Getting Started