Ultrastudio Mini Recorder

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Kevin Taylor

Ultrastudio Mini Recorder

PostMon Sep 18, 2017 8:14 pm

Hi All,

Im new to Blackmagic products. I need to steam from a Vid cam to a large LED screen for an event so having looked at all the options. Im a windows not a mac user and so bought a Dell xps 12 and the Ultrastudio mini recorder however after receiving both i realised the thunderbolt is a different size. (Im not sure if this is Thunderbolt 1 or 2) I now see the Dell has the Thunderbolt 3 and the mini recorder is not Thunderbolt 3. So i bought a converter that changes it from the bigger plug to 3.

Anyway having tried it with the converter i dont get a light and the software doesnt detect the ultrastudio mini recorder.

Could anyone please advise if it should be compatible or am i barking up the wrong tree, Having spent more than i wanted too already can anyone please suggest if it should be compatible and if not the best way forward without spending a fortune.

Many thanks in advnace
Kev
Kevin Taylor

Xtreemtec

Re: Ultrastudio Mini Recorder

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 6:20 pm

For the price of that laptop you could have boughed a hardware streamer..

I'm no thunderbolt expert but the fact the LED does not light up, i guess it does not work / compatible..

What are the specs of that camera? Because if that camera outputs 1080P on it's HDMI you will have another problem. Just a heads up ;)

Supported resolutions are
HD Video Standards

720p50, 720p59.94, 720p60
1080p23.98, 1080p24, 1080p25, 1080p29.97, 1080p30
1080PsF23.98, 1080PsF24, 1080PsF25, 1080PsF29.97, 1080PsF30
1080i50, 1080i59.94, 1080i60
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Kevin Taylor

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 9:52 pm

Hi

I did consider a hardware streamer but thought that the laptop would be of benefit to me for other uses within the business when not needed for streaming so havign considered it i went the laptop and ultrastudio option. I dont know anyone that uses dedicated streamer hardware tho i did look at the Teradek. its not very often i have to stream hence the reason i took the option i did. Maybe this was a mistake tho. Regards Kev

Kevin Taylor

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 9:05 am

Update

I spoke to the support team in the uk who were pretty good to be fair but said they dont support the mini recorder with a converter for TB 2 to TB 3. They did say they are aware some work and some dont but coudlnt tell me which one would work. So im not sure what direction to go now. Having a good sum on a windows laptop that has TB 3 it would feel like a backward step to buy another with TB2

Regards

Kev

Andrew Martin

PostSat Sep 23, 2017 11:37 am

Kevin Taylor wrote:Update

I spoke to the support team in the uk who were pretty good to be fair but said they dont support the mini recorder with a converter for TB 2 to TB 3. They did say they are aware some work and some dont but coudlnt tell me which one would work. So im not sure what direction to go now. Having a good sum on a windows laptop that has TB 3 it would feel like a backward step to buy another with TB2

Regards

Kev

Purchase a sonnet PCI enclosure that will hold a PCI BMD capture card and give you a thunderbolt out.
Alternatively
Purchase a magewell or Aja u-tap usb3 capture dongle.

A.

Return to Getting Started