Monitoring Audio on Switcher

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Timothy Cantu

Monitoring Audio on Switcher

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 6:50 pm

I am trying to monitor the audio from the switcher but it does not allow me to turn on that option in the ATEM Switcher settings on the computer. Is there something else I need to do in order to be able to have that option turn on in the settings? I am getting audio levels, I just can't monitor any of the channels.

Thomas Seewald

Re: Monitoring Audio on Switcher

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 5:40 am

Which ATEM model ?
The software is the same for all models, but not all models have all features. E.g. the old TVS had no DVE, but the software shows the DVE-functions, but greyed out. Maybe I'm wrong, but maybe your model can't monitor single sources....
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Xtreemtec

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 5:54 pm

Old models don't have a monitor output.. Only main output.. So if it is a old model the function will be greyed out in the software.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Sep 22, 2017 4:06 pm

Hello Timothy. The Monitor selection on the ATEM applies to models with Analog XLR outputs which may be either used for Program or Monitor audio. When in Monitor mode, the user may select Solo on a particular input which will be directed to the Analog output. If there are no XLR outputs on the ATEM, this function will be grayed out. The 4K and newer models have audio on the Multiview. Otherwise, you could use an SDI to Audio converter for this purpose.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Andrew Martin

PostSat Sep 23, 2017 11:45 am

There was an old trick of placing the multiview on an aux out and feed that to the multiview monitor. as the aux contains embedded program audio. Or was it plug the multiview into an unused input and put that input on the aux?
Whichever it was, it worked..

A.

Timothy Cantu

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 11:29 pm

Thank you all for the replies, I have the ATEM Television Studio and the Hyperdeck Mini. I found that audio setting is available for all ATEM switchers except for ATEM Production Studio 4K and ATEM Television Studio, which is the one I have. So my issue which, I thought was the switcher software I guess may be the Hyperdeck. I am getting audio levels on the switcher software on the computer, I just can't monitor, however I am not getting audio on the Hyperdeck when I record. Sorry guys, I feel all turned around and messed up. I appreciate all of your responses. Any suggestions or explanations as to why the Hyperdeck wouldn't be getting any audio?
Attachments
setup.jpg
setup.jpg (487.66 KiB) Viewed 8308 times

rogersuski

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 1:10 am

Try setting the number of audio channels on the Hyperdeck Mini to two in the settings

Mikael Schäder

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 1:48 pm

The bigger question is: Where does your audio come from. Can´t see any audio present on any inputs in your picture. TVS does not have any analog audio outputs, so you need to embed audio on any of you inputs and then de-embed (debed) audio from your PGM output in order to feed your analog speakers. And btw, there is no EXT audio input on TVS so you can shut that channel off.
You can also have a small HDMI extractor connected to the HDMI PGM output and via RCA-connectors get analog audio to your speakers.
I have both the extractor and a de-embedder so I can choose.

Mikael
Attachments
hdmi-extractor.jpeg
hdmi-extractor.jpeg (29.91 KiB) Viewed 8276 times

Timothy Cantu

PostFri Sep 29, 2017 3:28 pm

Okay, the way I have my system connected is from camera (via HDMI and I've used SDI) to ATEM Television Studio Switcher, from ATEM Television Switcher (via SDI) to Hyperdeck Mini. I am not getting audio on the Hyperdeck, any ideas?

Mikael Schäder

PostMon Oct 02, 2017 8:15 am

Can you confirm that you have audio on input 1. (Coming from camera via HDMI).
Do you see any audio present on input 1 in the switcher software audio tab.

Timothy Cantu

PostMon Oct 02, 2017 8:59 pm

Yes, I am seeing audio levels on the computer switcher program.

Mikael Schäder

PostTue Oct 03, 2017 2:28 pm

Weird. I have the same setup with no problems. I even have two Hyperdecks.

Timothy Cantu

PostTue Oct 03, 2017 6:32 pm

I was wondering if they Hyperdeck needed an update or something but I haven't found anything. Yea, but I can't get any audio to my Hyperdeck. Maybe, somebody from Blackmagic will respond who may be able to help.

Andrew Martin

PostTue Oct 03, 2017 9:08 pm

Generally BMD don't comment here it's a user forum, sometimes you get the odd comment.
So prob. Better to contact direct... If you want that.

Post pics if you can of the control s\ware audio panel and audio settings in setup.
Thinking have you got the selected source going to monitor or maybe solo'd etc ?? So not going to program ??

A.

Return to Live Production