BM video assist trigger rec error

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Daniel Mies

BM video assist trigger rec error

PostWed Sep 27, 2017 11:12 pm

So I am in this mood where I am close to throw this BMVA 5 inch out the window.

I am trying to set up the automatic rec from BMPCC to BMVA, but the monitor does not react.

Any ideas?

Denny Smith

Re: BM video assist trigger rec error

PostSun Oct 01, 2017 5:22 am

Not going to happen. The Pocket camera will not trigger the Video Assist. I tried this, and it does not work. My guess is the Pocket camera does not output a true record run Time Code to trigger the VA with.
You need to start recording on the VA withnthe touch screen Record "button".
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Daniel Mies

PostMon Oct 02, 2017 12:33 pm

Thanks, Denny!

Argh. I found that so odd.. Why would BM not make those two items fully compatible...?

Denny Smith

PostMon Oct 02, 2017 5:42 pm

I guess because the Pocket and the Micro Cinema camera were designed to record ProRes and Raw internally, so external recording was not a feature design. The HDMI was for external monitors only, not for recording from. The less complex you keep a camera, the less expensive it is to make. :roll:
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Daniel Mies

PostTue Oct 03, 2017 8:18 am

Thanks, Denny!  What a pity.... I still do not get it though. Why is BMD writing the following on their page:

"Recording can be automatically triggered from SDI and HDMI so you can stay focussed on getting the shot, without having to worry about operating additional gear!"

But not compatible with BMPCC, they should have added, I assume...... :?

Xtreemtec

PostTue Oct 03, 2017 2:28 pm

And how many other cameras they do not support with this.. I know for fact that with the Atomos you have to select the type of camera as with every brand the trigger is different.. :? But they state which cameras they have tested. ;) They also state on their site if a trigger does not work with a type of camera if they have tested it..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Denny Smith

PostTue Oct 03, 2017 4:30 pm

Yes, the auto SDI and HD I record triggering is more for DSLR applications, Andrew for using with cameras that do have external Rec/Run time code, but can only record highly compressed AVCHD type codecs. The. Recording in a VA makes sense. Other than a second B/U recording, recording to the VA vs using the Pocket/Micro camera internal recording is redundant. The Micro Studio is another camera using the VA with is a good fit, as the Studio cameras do not record internally. With the Micro, it is easier to start receding from the VA screen than using a camera record button (which the Studio lacks anyway).

The VA is designed to work with a variety of cameras, and not all the features are going to be available on any one camera.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Getting Started