Issues Installing / Using Intensity Shuttle USB

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

rachelmcqueenie

Issues Installing / Using Intensity Shuttle USB

PostSun Oct 01, 2017 10:19 am

Hi, I'm having trouble trying to use my new Intensity Shuttle.

I first tried installing the software onto my PC which is some years old and has these specs:

I tried installing from both the SD card and the newest version from the website. It would typically fail at this step:

After many attempts I managed to get it to install from the SD card but when running the software I could not get a picture from my input device. I was testing with a Wii U and a Nintendo Switch with HDMI. I tried installing the newer version but that failed at the same step as before which rolled back the installation as well as the earlier successful one. I haven't been able to re-install either since (always failing at the same step).

To see if it was a problem with my PC I tried installing onto a newer laptop. This was successful but again, I couldn't get a picture. I was using a USB hub with USB 3.0 ports for this. I checked USBView (the official Microsoft USB debugger, not allowed to post links but you can Google it) to see if it could detect the Intensity Shuttle device (given it doesn't have a light or anything to tell you it's connected or has power) and it appeared for a moment but then disappeared. Is this supposed to happen?

Finally, the cable that came with it doesn't appear to fit correctly as shown:

Is this correct? I didn't want to brute force and break the thing. What sort of cable is it so I can try a different one? It looks like a printer cable?

Any help with these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Stream Saturdays 16:00 UTC+11 (ADST): http://www.twitch.tv/fantanoice

Xtreemtec

Re: Issues Installing / Using Intensity Shuttle USB

PostTue Oct 03, 2017 2:39 pm

Hi Rachel,

The problem is that the USB 3 devices of BMD are very picky on what USB hub is inside the PC / Laptop.

They originally designed based arround the NEC/Renesas chipset. Which is a usb 3 chipset that is now out of production.

Check this topic for compatible laptops viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4277&hilit=usb+3

In this topic i think we also discuss some other drivers for Intel controllers and Fresco .. But it was way back.. I switched to Decklink cards.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Getting Started