MultiDock thunderbolt to ethernet????

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Jared Scoggins

MultiDock thunderbolt to ethernet????

PostMon Oct 02, 2017 6:14 pm

Short version – Can I use a thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter on the MultiDock to transfer files to western digital network storage ?

I would like to have a laptop (HP Z Book with thunderbolt port) connected to a network switch. Also connected to the network switch would be the MultiDock and 6 Western Digital My Cloud EX2 Ultra network attached storage units.

I need to copy video taken from 4 hyperdeck studios and make 6 copies. For this project our client is the boss’s friend so I "have to" make 6 copies of video on the 6 NAS dives that were just set down on the floor in front of my desk.

My hope is to swap to fresh SSD’s at lunch time – do a copy & paste and walk away. Then do the same before I leave for the day.

Disclaimer - I am not an A/V person, but an electronics tech that also has to video tests for clients.

Our clients brought in 6 NAS units because they want 6 copies of video. The video of the tests are proprietary, we never keep a copy or edit them. When a disk starts to get full I label the SSD’s and either give it directly to the client or put it in a USB enclosure and give it to the client. They have a spreadsheet that tells them tests are on each disk.

I have a Blackmagic MultiDock that is about 3 or 4 years old in a rack with all of my A/V equipment. It has only been used 3 or 4 times.

4 hyperdeck studios – 4 Camera Views
I generate about 500 gb of video data per camera, per day. (1080i – ProRes). I have 480 gb ssd’s that I record to.

Jack Fairley

Re: MultiDock thunderbolt to ethernet????

PostMon Oct 02, 2017 6:34 pm

No, you'd have to connect it to a computer and then transfer files to the NAS units over the network. The problem is that unless you have 10GbE connection, you're going to be bottlenecked to 1Gb/s at a time, which will make the process probably take several hours per NAS.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Jared Scoggins

Re: MultiDock thunderbolt to ethernet????

PostMon Oct 02, 2017 6:51 pm

It sounds like I should not bother with the thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter. Just plug the MultiDock into the laptop via thunderbolt cable and copy/paste to the network dives.

I think I will set the laptop to never sleep and copy & paste as I walk out the door each night.

I appreciate the response. I hope this is one of those tasks I do only have to do once.

Return to Getting Started