Hyperdeck SSD best disk to use

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Ernie Dobkins

Hyperdeck SSD best disk to use

PostMon Oct 09, 2017 8:30 pm

Greetings everyone...........

I have the Blackmagic Hyperdeck which is using the 2.5" disks. Unfortunately it did not come with a disk to start with so I am in the market to buy some. For a big picture the deck is hooked up to the HDMI program output from our ATEM 2 M/E switcher.

Any advice on which disks to buy for the best price?

On a secondary note I was going to hook the deck to the ATEM via the SD coax...but the input SDI on the deck appears to be a different version? I wasn't able to use it which is why I am utilizing the HDMI.

Thanks for any advice and input.

Ernie

Asgeir Hustad

Re: Hyperdeck SSD best disk to use

PostFri Oct 13, 2017 7:37 am

Are you using the regular Hyperdeck Studio (rackmount) or a smaller version like the Hyperdeck Shuttle?

The rack-mount versions all have regular HD-SDI inputs, and can take an input from the 2M/E directly. You do however need to press the Input-button to change from HDMI to SDI on startup.

Basicly any decent, modern SSD will work, especially if you can use ProRes 422-codecs or similar. What you need to look for is sustained sequential writing speed - a decent regular 2.5" SSD will give you 400-500MB/s write speed, which is more than enough to record. I use 240GB Kingston SSDs, and some 120GB disks as well, and can record several hours of footage. The KC400 240GB disk will cost you about $130, and is more than good enough.

I prefer using several 120/240GB disks rather than one huge 1TB disk, so that offloading goes quicker, and I can empty and prep disks while one is recording.

Return to Getting Started