Strange motion blur

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Malcolm Crabbe

Strange motion blur

PostSun Oct 22, 2017 5:45 pm

Hi Guys,

Not really an issue related to Resolve or Blackmagic products, but I know you guys are verry knowledgeable, so thought I'd post here.

I have a 4K panasonic HC-V870 mid range consumer camera, and noticed that often when I pan on a moving object the vertical pars tend to slope in the opposite direction.
Filming a train passing , the doors become sloped for example

I thought this may have been down to the movement of both the camera and object, but noticed it when I panned fast with some white railings the same thing was observed. I also noticed that some other videos on youtube had the same issue, so I'm guessing it's something that is common with modern cameras as I've watch old footage from my 16 year old DV camcorders and that didn't exhibit the same issue.

The camera is set to record in 1080p @ 60 FPS

Would welcome comments and suggestions

Xtreemtec

Re: Strange motion blur

PostSun Oct 22, 2017 6:55 pm

Rolling shutter does that.. ;) Which means that objects that are moving fast.. will skew..

It starts reading the sensor at the upper line.. But when it has reached the center of the image pane the object has moved and so will capture a different point in time / space. This is what you see with the doors..

Try to avoid to buy a camera with rolling shutter if you do fast moving objects, sports, shaky footage(strapped to a quad or stuff..)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Malcolm Crabbe

Re: Strange motion blur

PostWed Oct 25, 2017 4:24 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not in a position to replace the camera so I guess I'll have to live with it. Looking at similar videos on youtube it quite common with consumer level camcorders.

The strange thing is that I have some old footage taking with old Sony camcorder circa 1997 era, and a Panasonic camcorder cira 2005, both miniDV tape and neither exhibit this feature...

I guess there is nothing I can do settings wise to reduce this?

Edit;

I googled the subject rolling shutter and see that possibly my old camcorders were CCD rather than CMOS which would explain things.

I have the option of manually setting shutter on the current camcorder, which I believe reduces this effect ?

Return to Getting Started