New to BM family and a little lost

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Piotr Poznanski

New to BM family and a little lost

PostTue Oct 31, 2017 12:08 am

Hello everyone,

Im completely new to the BM family of products and only fresh green when it comes to streaming.
And I am a little lost on to what works with what.

Im considering getting two or three of micro studio 4k cameras. I teach people drawing so:

I need one shot for showing what i draw on my desk (sometimes very close details from 4 inches close, and sometimes i need to show whole A4 page from above of 1-2 feet high - so I also need a lens suggestion) and second shot for showing myself when i talk. third optional camera would be for either macro up close shots of different drawing materials or other usage. Im getting three cameras in a cheap 50% off bundle.

I need to shoot both video for my video courses - thats why 4k. And also for streaming fb live as a marketing doing regular weekly show and for doing online courses.

what else would i need for doing facebook live and for recording lessons for later products.
From what i see I would need Web Presenter. I could use that with a MacBook for recording and for fb live at the same time?

What kind of MacBook is recommended? What kind of Pc?

Xtreemtec

Re: New to BM family and a little lost

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 11:17 am

The Web presenter outputs 720P. So no 4K recording there..

If you really need 4K recording you will need 3x recorder which are capable of 4K recording.. Like the Video Assist 7" or Hyperdeck studio 4K.

But if you want to do a live show live switched.. You will need a 4K video mixer. And 1 recorder should be fine then. ;)

But you really want to rethink your stragety.. Do you really need 4K? Is it worth 3K extra investement over HD?

When you want to go HD. You can go for the Cinema cameras.. They can record on flashcard. Output HD video to a TVS HD video mixer. (much cheaper then a 4K video mixer) Or put a decklink Duo card in your PC and instal Vmix.. You can do recording, Mixing, Streaming, overlays all in 1 PC with 1 application.
I would not recommend to do all this to a laptop / macbook.. So rather get a beefed up PC.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Piotr Poznanski

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 7:32 pm

The thing is

1. I have occasion to get 3xBMMSC for 1300 euro.
2. I will want in the future to record and stream 4k, even if i dont use it now.
3. So based on above points, buying Micro Cinema cameras a. I would have to get them with higher price than studio ones b. When i wanted to move from hd to 4k i would have to sell at a loss - i really hate that

An upgradeable solution looks like I can use BMMSC and just use 720 streaming for fb and/or get capture cards and connceting them to macbook pro stream 1080 and record at the same time.
Cost for now affordable, yet still upgradealbe with low amount of money lost on selling used parts (web presenter and capture cards).

Does my thinking sound right?

Xtreemtec

PostFri Nov 03, 2017 10:53 am

Piotr Poznanski wrote:. I have occasion to get 3xBMMSC for 1300 euro.

You did not mention you had a SUPER deal on those BMMSC.. You basically get 3 cameras for the price of one :D Which is a pretty good deal. ( i would take it right away if somebody offered me that deal!! )

My advice was based on cost savings.. But you have a very good deal so i would suggest you buy a Atem production studio 4k and 1 capture device HD. On that Atem PS4K there is a downconverted HD which you can put into your streaming device if you want to run 4K with your cameras. If you buy a VideoAssist 5"you can record 4K output of the video mixer.

So stream in HD and Record in 4K. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Denny Smith

PostFri Nov 03, 2017 5:31 pm

Excellent, but a VA 5-inch Daniel, is only going to record HD, not 4K, as it downconverts the 4K UHD signal to HD, but it also outputs HD from the down coverted signal, which may also be used for streaming?

Another option would be to use the new ATEM HD, and set the Micro Studio cameras to HD output, and keep the workflow HD. Then when you are ready to upgrade to UHD streaming/recording, upgrade the ATEM, but again you are buying the mixer twice.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Piotr Poznanski

PostMon Nov 06, 2017 12:47 am

Yeah, seems like I am a good deal finder. ;) (just a friend in a right store ;)

I just got another two possibilities:

1. Blackmagic URSA Mini 4K EF For 500 euros. This is even bigger cost ocassion than BMMSC I think.
2. Blackmagic Design Production Camera 4K for 500 euros as well

The second one has a monitor but is an older camcorder? and both have internal recording?

Which of those (if any) would be better than previous solution?

Denny Smith

PostMon Nov 06, 2017 2:05 am

The Ursa Mini 4K, as it will have the newer 4K sensor, where the Production Camera might have the original 4k sensor. The Ursa Mini also has a return video input, T/C in and gen lock sync inputs, and is more switcher oriented. Also, the UM can be shoulder mounted quite easily, where as the BMPC is designed to be used on a tripod rig.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Getting Started