Setting up multi-capture to disk setup

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Aaron Wilson

Setting up multi-capture to disk setup

PostThu Nov 02, 2017 11:11 pm

I'm trying to spec out a system, and am hoping someone here can let me know if I'm on the right track or not. I want 4 cameras capturing to files on my local machine, with an externally generated timecode signal. It looks to me like I could use four Micro Studio Camera 4K's feeding over SDI to four DeckLink SDI 4K cards. Media Express looks promising as software to capture to file on disk, but I'm not sure if it can capture four streams simultaneously - is that possible? Also, can I provide a timecode signal through the RS-422 port on the DeckLink cards?

Any advice is appreciated - I've done a lot of work with video manipulation in the past but I'm just getting my feet wet with pro recording tools. Thanks!

Xtreemtec

Re: Setting up multi-capture to disk setup

PostFri Nov 03, 2017 10:43 am

Get a tool like Vmix. They have multiple capture options. But there are more out there.

If you would only do 3G-sdi i would recommend to buy a Decklink Duo 2. This is 1 card that can capture 4 inputs at the same time. ;)

As for timecode.. This is already embedded in the SDI signal from the camera. So you need to put that timecode to the camera and set the camera on LTC input. ;)

If you want to capture 4x 4K (Hence Decklink 4K) you are looking at a serious monster machine with a lot of SSD's and transfer speeds between them. Also you might get in trouble with bandwidth issues on your motherboard as often PCI-E busses are shared for 2 or more slots.
Which can lead to instability issues if you have 4 cards pumping out 4K signals into your motherboard. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Aaron Wilson

Re: Setting up multi-capture to disk setup

PostFri Nov 03, 2017 4:50 pm

Thanks for the recommendation on Vmix - I'll check it out. I do want to capture at 4k, and I've done some preliminary specs for disk I/O necessary to support it. The one thing I'm still not sure about is how much CPU/GPU will be necessary to be able to encode 4x 4k streams on the fly, but I'll have to play that by ear once I have some actual equipment to test with.

Return to Getting Started